Dog Collars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

loopmd said:
Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.

that dog must have a one hell of a flexible neck to be chewing on its collar. Are you leaving it too loose? I have a braided nylon collar for my dog that has a double loop that acts like a choke collar but not as bad as a chain one.

Todd said:
How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.

That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.

My dog did this in his first year. we went through about 4-5 collers. There were not overly loose, two finger rule. We was like a contortionist. After a while, he stopped. I think at first he did not want to wear it at all. Now, he panics during his baths when it is off, and will not calm until it is back on.

If he is a pup, it should pass. If he is an adult, look into a choke chain.

My vet suggested spraying/rubbing deoderant on stuff your dog chews that you don't want them to, they can't stand the taste and it isn't poinsonous.

After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it. It was more like 1 finger tight instead of 2. (get your mind out of the gutter!) Spiked collar is out too...that's just strictly used for me and swmbo. ;)

loop

the_bird said:
That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.

Xander has one of those too. Otherwise he's liable to rip my arm out of its socket whenever he sees a squirrel or cat. Works pretty well...though, sometimes he gets worked up enough to not give a f*ck anyway.

loopmd said:
After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it.
I understand wanting to solve this (believe me). Just make sure you're not solving the symptom. Try to look at the big picture. The dog may be bored and has no socially acceptable way of releasing energy.

Look at diet, discipline and exercise as well.

If you solve the symptom, it just may manifest itself as something more dangerous and expensive.

loopmd said:
After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it. It was more like 1 finger tight instead of 2. (get your mind out of the gutter!) Spiked collar is out too...that's just strictly used for me and swmbo. ;)

loop

Try pulling it up over his head, I have a feeling that loose skin is to blame. He is probably able to push it over his head, then he chews it. The solution might be to keep the collar off unless going for a walk.

My dogs were yanking them off each other for a while.

Good thought. I don't want to replace any furniture that he starts chewing after we strangle him with his collar. He's in a kennel during the day while we are all out of the house. He chewed all of his collars off while he was in the kennel. Sooo, he has toys in his kennel and now we make sure that he does not have his collar on. I actually came home from work to find him with his collar in his mouth....pretty ugly sight and he was completely exhausted like he was struggling for quite some time. Last night, (sleeps with me and swmbo) he did it in the middle of the night. I woke up and started thinking...there's got to be something that someone came up with that's chew proof. I think I might have found my million dollar idea! We are not talking about a 125 lb Akita or anything...this is an 8 lb lhaso-poo.

thanks for the suggestions

loop

Well, the fact that he's doing it while he's kennelled all day makes it sound like it's a separation-anxiety issue more than anything else. Pretty sure Todd_K was going through similar issues with his dog Floyd; not sure if he was able to get any real resolution to it or not, though.

But, that sounds like your problem; look for solutions to separation-anxiety, not chew-proof collars. You don't want him to start chewing on his kennel and breaking his teeth, for example.

the_bird said:
Well, the fact that he's doing it while he's kennelled all day makes it sound like it's a separation-anxiety issue more than anything else. Pretty sure Todd_K was going through similar issues with his dog Floyd; not sure if he was able to get any real resolution to it or not, though.

But, that sounds like your problem; look for solutions to separation-anxiety, not chew-proof collars. You don't want him to start chewing on his kennel and breaking his teeth, for example.

Floyd doesn't chew through collars.....just arms and legs. :D

So I didn't read all the posts...

but you all should check out Lupine. They guarantee their collars and leads even if chewed. My pup is on his second. In a similar story, I have a 1/2'' Muddy Paws available for interesting trades.;)

the_bird said:
Was he having separation anxiety, or just general insanity?

he's just hyper. he's always been good when we're away. he's only chewed a couple things he wasn't suppose to and it's been a long time since he's done something like that.

Back