Question about Wyeast 3522

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowspoke

Reaction score
I haven't used a liquid yeast before so don't know what to expect. I brewed a Saison DuPont yesterday and after 24 hours I'm not seeing any bubbling in the air lock. The air lock is filled to the proper water level and the lid is on tight.
My question is; is this a slow acting yeast or could I have done something wrong? I've used Nottingham dry yeast before and just not sure how this works.

I did the smack pack thing and after 3 1/2 hours it didn't seem to be swelled much but the package was not as flat as it was when I broke the inner bag. How much swelling goes on? what should I do now other than wait. I was thinking of waiting another 18-24 hours to see what happens.

slowspoke said:
I did the smack pack thing and after 3 1/2 hours it didn't seem to be swelled much but the package was not as flat as it was when I broke the inner bag. How much swelling goes on? what should I do now other than wait. I was thinking of waiting another 18-24 hours to see what happens.

I've noticed that some packs will swell more than others, depending on the tempurature and the age of the yeast. I like to first warm the packet (don't use SWMBO's tummy, though it may seem a good idea at the time) and then let it inflate for several hours in a warm place (75-85 degrees.) Most times it will swell to where it feels as though it should pop at any moment.

I would definately give it some more time to work, without a starter liquid yeast can take up to a few days depending on gravity and tempurature.

Got home tonight and had a nice fermentation going but I found out some other things.
The LHBS said it should be OK but if not I could peek in to see if there was any krausen, they also said it would be slower to start and a longer fermentation. One other thing I checked when I got home was check the date and it was old made Aug 2005.
Thanks for the help from the forum.
Now I have to wait
:ban:

I've noticed that the fresh packs will puff up in hours, but older ones can take days, even a week. I always start the liquid packs at least a day in advance, to make sure they'll swell.

Back