2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is San Diego, CA. Would love to make it back to my hometown.

Not next year for me. I have to decide between GABF and NHC next year, and I think it'll be GABF. Mostly because my husband doesn't go to NHC but he'll enjoy a day of GABF.

The cost for the NHC is pretty high and as a single attendee I don't share any costs. My room alone was well over $600. (Of course I was there 5 nights!)

I've been putting a NHC off for too long, I plan to attend.

Considering the cost of a room and the amount of time most plan on being in it (i.e. as little as possible); we should have a 'share a room' thread next spring.

If one wants to tour some breweries is that best done just prior to or just after the NHC? That is; are the NHC days pretty much all taken up by all the activities?

If anyone needs help or suggestions on places to stay and things to see and/or avoid, let me know. I'm willing to help with anything SD related.

The NHC days are full on talks and such. If you don't care about them you can go do other things. Pro Brewers night would be a great time to check out various brews. Maybe that would give you ideas of where you would go after the conference.

In case you visit my neck of the woods...

anti-homeless-sticker-br-034-300x225.jpeg

yes... Olive Tree is great, actually several of our markets yield good finds on occassion.

Bacon and Eggs at PP is awesome... It's no Speedway Stout, but it is close!

Definitely a good promo video. I wonder if I'll be on the home brewer side or the pro brewer side of things by that time next year...

As I understand it this is the venue. I've been trying to make it to NHC for the last three years. This year is a must. My wife is from San Diego and has been wanting to take a trip down there for some time. Guess we'll start saving our pennies now.

Hey, no fair that post wasn't there when I wrote mine! :p

Ah..really? I was expecting Gaslamp area, but that place seems a bit..isolated.

If its by the TC, than it will be easy to hop on the Blue line of the trolley to get down town to the asslamp and down town where there are a good amount of good beer bars, or you can go east on the trolley and get to Oggie's and a couple other not so special other brewers. Also its fairly close to Ballast point's small brewery.

IIRC, that is where comic con is held. Nice venue, but a little pricey.

Nope, that's held downtown at the Convention Center.

I was expecting Gaslamp area, but that place seems a bit..isolated.

It's about 4 miles from downtown, not isolated in the slightest. Quite central actually, located on Hotel Circle where most of the hotels are in central San Diego.

If its by the TC, than it will be easy to hop on the Blue line of the trolley to get down town to the asslamp and down town where there are a good amount of good beer bars, or you can go east on the trolley and get to Oggie's and a couple other not so special other brewers. Also its fairly close to Ballast point's small brewery.

Only a 10 min drive to 30th St too :)

As I understand it this is the venue. I've been trying to make it to NHC for the last three years. This year is a must. My wife is from San Diego and has been wanting to take a trip down there for some time. Guess we'll start saving our pennies now.

I've been to that place for some scientific meetings. I stayed at another nearby hotel and walked a couple blocks to the meetings. The facilites were nice. It's been 5 yrs now. When I was there, the golf course was a giant fenced off construction site. This location is a very short walk to the metro (or whatever it is called). Also for the non-drinking spouses, there is a nice mall just the other side of the tracks.

**** the Gaslamp. There's almost nothing beer related down there and the places that have good tap lists are on the fringe. There's got to be a bus that gets people from Hotel Circle to North Park, at which point you're in the best drinking area in SD.

There is! You take the 6 from the Transit Center to 30th/El Cajon and then you're on 30th, which you can take the #2 bus past Toronado, Ritual, Hamilton's, and you can end up at Downtown Johnny Brown's and the Neighborhood. The Beer Company downtown will be open by then, too.

The Town and Country is like 70's chic, but I think that's the last time it was updated. So if you like your hotels modern, I'd avoid staying there. If you just need a place to pass out when you're faced, then go for it. I do hear it is a good party hotel, though.

The bus route I defined would take 35 minutes. San Diego transit is nowhere near perfect. And yes, there may be shuttles that night.

I have always stayed at the sponsoring hotel for the NHC and it sure makes it easy. No driving or back and forth issues. Pop up to the room for a nap. I will be making reservations as soon as they are open.

I have always stayed at the sponsoring hotel for the NHC and it sure makes it easy. No driving or back and forth issues. Pop up to the room for a nap. I will be making reservations as soon as they are open.

Yes, that costs a bit but it's so worth it.

You guys are talking me into going...........I think I might have to save my pennies for next summer. Retirement means plenty of time, but little spare cash!

Latest posts

Back