Should I throw out the batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
I started a batch quite some time ago (10 months) transferred to 2ndary after about a month (very active in primary the entire time). Summer came, and I stopped brewing (I was very busy this summer) and kind of forgot about it. The primary was a 15 gallon carboy (thank you, dad) and was therefore split between 3 seondary's. 2 of them were perfectly fine, but the 3rd (and the fullest), the airlock dried out on.

I was thinking I may as well just chuck it, but I decided to give it a whiff, and smelled just like the other two carboys (that i just bottled). I now have it upstairs, and have an airlock on it, and it's started bubbling again (I think it might have been a bit too cold to ferment properly in the basement).

so to recap:
Reasons to think it's safe:
active primary (high alcohol content - alcohol would kill anything)
smells good
actively fermenting now

reasons to think it's NOT safe:
airlock was dry when I found it after ~9 months... don't know HOW LONG it was dry
basement's not exactly the cleanest place in the world... lots of mold spores Im sure.

Thoughts? Should I bottle and proceed with caution, or cut my losses and pour it out?

Any post that starts out with "Should I throw out..." needs to have the automatic answer of NO NO NO don't throw it out. If it smells OK, that's a good sign. Since fermentation seems to be going on, give it some time to see if you get any strange "Jesus" looking mold on the top :D If no mold, take a sample and check with hydro to see where you ended up and taste the sample. If all seems well, go ahead & bottle. The most you'll lose is about an hour of your time but you stand to gain another case or so of good beer.

I had the same thing happen to a mead which i had in secondary for 10 months. at some point in that 10 months the airlock dried out. It also was living in my basement. Regardless, I bottled the mead a month ago and it is absolutely excellent. No worries.

If fact it was that single question that lead me to seek out this board!

Orpheus said:
All indications point to bottling.

I agree, although it looks like Orph has the Homebrewer's Magic 8 Ball answer.

Other answers for the Magic 8 Ball Brewer's Edition.
Take a gravity reading.
RDWHAHB!
Give it a few weeks.

Heh, that's pretty funny. You could just make a list and roll dice to see which answer you get too. :D

After 9 months (or whatever) if it was going to get infected, it would have. With nothing weird visible & it smelling like beer:

It's beer!

Back