Smack pack still good after smacking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I have an already smacked package of wyeast irish ale that took a long time to even partially inflate. I left it out for a couple of days and it got most of the way inflated. How long will the yeast stay good like this? I put it in the fridge this morning....should it stay there? I plan on being able to use it tuesday, should anything be done with it before then? Will the yeast die?

What's the mfg date and how was is stored before you smacked it? Also, what was the temp. you had the pack in after you smacked it? If you smacked it and then kept it at 60 degrees F, it won't necessarily expand the same as if it was closer to 70 degrees. It shouldn't take a couple days to puff out.

If it is older, it could affect how it takes off. Doesn't hurt to make a starter and see if they are viable.

It will be fine . Its no different than me putting my starter in the fridge for a few days to flocculate the yeast . A starter is something you should consider when using liquid yeasts

Back