Risk of infection is higher in the spring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
The risk of infection is higher in the spring, especially when your brewing partner is a Golden Retriever that is shedding. I initially banished him from the brew area yesterday, but his whimpering at the top of the stairs got me to change my mind. I figure any dog hair that gets in the beer pre-boil will be disinfected anyway. But I did give him the boot post-boil though. Maybe I should name this batch "Essence of Golden Retriever Hefeweizen". :drunk:

dbrew.jpg

Probably impart a nice, distinctive taste to the beer! Should all settle out anyways, I would think.

I actually bake my best sourdough in the spring when all the plants are flowering (aka, infecting your dough on purpose). I've never had any problems with brewing in the spring though, and the only doggie problems I've had usually center around burned noses :)

It's interesting to me that you posted this. In the lab that I work at, we were getting some infections in our incubator when the seasons changed a few weeks ago. I guess pollen in the air was getting onto clothing and drug into the fume hood or something.

Back