Lager Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an idea..and would like some feedback.

I am thinking of coverting my laundry sink into a lagering vessel.
I have some foam insulation, tape, and plastic. I figured I can attach the
foam and a foam wrap on the outside, have a styrafoam lid and keep the fermentor in a bit of cold water and ice. I can drain out the water daily, and top up with more and ice as need be. I will also re-enforce the bottom to handle the
10G plus water. I will still be able to use the sink for regular duties as all the insulation will be on the outside.

My fermentor is not a bucket...but rather a weird cooler shaped thing, so a towel/ fan trick my not be a good alternative....plus I dont like the idea of leaving a fan on all the time.

Any thoughts?

If you can be bothered with changing the ice a couple of times every day for a month or so, why not. I tried doing a similar method and I got lazy with my ice rotation.

Have you looked into second hand fridges? I salvaged mine for free, you'd be surprised at how many people throw away perfectly fine refridgerators!

Are you reffeering to the fermentation phase of al ager beer which is done at ~50 degrees F, or the actual lagering (storage) phase which is done at ~32*F?

I have a Kolsch yeast..so anything in the 60 degree area would be good.
This is not for lagering for months (my subject line was a bit off).
This is for about 3-4 weeks.
I will let yous know if it works!

I probably will go the used fridge route...havent spotted one yet.

Cheers,

I think it's worth trying for a Kolsch. There is an argument that says Kolschs should be lagered at the 'warmer' end of the range, because it is in ale yeast.

I'm thinking about trying something like the brewing cooler in the winter but getting the cold air from outside rather than ice. In NJ, it's common to have temps of 20-30 from December to March. I'd build a foam box with two dryer exhaust hoses leading outside. I'll put a fan on one of them controlled by a thermostat inside the box. Doesn't it seem a little weird having a refrigerator inside a heated area of your house when there's a ton of cold air right outside? It's spending money to have a little isolated pocket of cold air within a larger pocket of warm air (which you're also paying for).

I also have a very cold attached garage that stays an average of 45 degrees all winter long. I can do the same trick but pipe in warmer air from the house if it drops below a certain temp.

Bobby

The verdict is that the laundry sink is holding the temp @ 50 F.
I started on Monday.
I add ice once a day (ice is from 2-3 containers of tupperware) and I am pleased with the results do far. I may get tired of adding the ice, but am happy so far. I wouldn't panic if i missed a day as the temp doesnt really increase if I add ice every 20 hours...or 30 hours.

NB: I had to switch to a WY 2007 Pilsner since the Koelsh had no activity after 24 hours, and another 30 hrs in a stater.

I am also looking forward to lagering in the garage...I may have a few secondaries in there for the late fall.

Cheers.

Back