Couple more questions about 2.5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennieD

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, starting my 2nd batch..a dark wheat beer using some smoked malts. It will be a 2.5 gallon batch (due to my slow-a$$ boiling electric stove). My recipe is scaled down for exactly half of a 5 gallon batch. I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but I still have a couple questions:

-How much water should I use for my boil? 1.5gal for the boil, or maybe 2 to compensate for boil-off, then top off to 2.5 gal after?

-I've read suggestions about adding some or most of the malt extract later in the boil as opposed to all of it at the beginning with a small batch. I know this can affect hops utilization and residual sweetness. Can anyone give me advice on how much to add and when in order to prevent the malt from scorching and to make a balanced beer?

Thanks!

-jen :fro:

About half of the extract is a general rule of thumb. Half goes in when you reach boil temps. Start hopping when you get back to boil. Add the remaining extract with 15 minutes remaining. You'll find that even if you can only boil 2 gallons, using the late extract process allows you to top up to 5 gallons. At a 2.5 gallon batch, 2 gallons is almost a full boil.

Put your topoff water in the fridge overnight, then in the freezer a half hour before you're done brewing. It shouldn't be frozen, but it will be cold and help chill your wort quickly.

I'm sure you've see this advice a million times on this forum: brewing software like Beersmith is really helpful, especially when you vary the original recipe. I wouldn't attempt a late extract addition without using software so I can make sure I hit the IBUs that the recipe calls for.

Latest posts

Back