So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to brew a SNPA Clone here in a few hours. First attempt at all grain. Getting my list and ingredients laid out now.

About to start brewing my High Voltage barleywine (for my 40th birthday in 3.5 years). I'm also doing this parti-gyle, so I'll be brewing some sort of second runnings beer with it. Waiting on the preboil gravity and color of that one to see what I will end up doing in terms of a hop schedule.

Heating up the mash water for an APA. Thanks to Edwort for what it originally was. It's changed a bit now and has become my own. Figure I gotta use up some of these old Cascade pellet hops so I'm hitting it with 5 oz throughout the boil and might dry hop with another couple ounces of homegrown leaf hops.

9# 2-row pale
2# Vienna
4 oz Crystal 15L
2 oz Crystal 60L

1 oz Cascade 4.5 @ 60 min
2 oz Cascade 4.5 @ 30 min
1 oz Cascade 4.5 @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade 4.5 @ 5 min

2 oz Cascade unknown Dry Hop

Nottingham Danstar yeast

4 week primary then to bottles.

Strike water heating as we speak.

162750_833591044705_416476_45094782_226950_n.jpg

The SWMBO had a Girls' Night Out last night so I had the kids. After I put them to bed I brewed a 10g batch of Amarillo APA. That stuff is already bubbling.... love it!

I am actually bringing up the wort to a boil right now in my Big Green Egg... So far it seems to be working pretty well. We will see though.

Just started a Squeeze My Lemons Summer Blonde and going to do a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone in the morning. Both 5 gallon batches.

Just finished my first stout, its a Christmas present for my father, so he might have to wait a week or so to drink it but I'm excited!

Brew day wound up taking me about 14 hours with the stuck sparge. Really need to upgrade my SS braid.

The good news is the 9 gallons of lager now fermenting in the fridge.

I have an American style Scottish ale boiling in the garage right now. The grain bill is based upon NB's 90 shilling, but with a darker crystal malt and MO instead of "plain" 2-row. Hopped with Chinook and Willamette.

Once the wort goes into the "no chill" container, I'll crash-cool a couple of quarts of the wort for the real wort starter and chuck a package of WLP028 in it. I expect to be drinking it by Christmas.

Yes, 3 weeks from grain to glass. It can be done.

But, it would taste better to have it 5 weeks after those 3.

That depends. This thread isn't the right place for the argument, so I'll point you to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/#post894415

A relatively simple beer brewed with good practice, excellent yeast management, and good temperature control can easily be not just drinkable, but excellent, after three weeks, if you keg and force carbonate. Time heals problems, but if you start with a clean ferment with plenty of healthy yeast, the aging period needed to eliminate green flavors is vastly reduced, or eliminated.

I dont know that I ever want to do that again. Three brews, two relatively new brewers along with my still newbie-ish self. Then a few others showed up, and distracted pretty much everyone (but for fun, not just to be disruptive). Couple that with temps that "feel like 16" lead to a long, cold brew day huddling around the fire pit. Oh yeah, and a dog who can't stop digging thrown in the mix too!

But in the end, we wound up with:

5 gallons of what should turn out to be roughly Founder's Breakfast Stout ish
5 gallons of a 'Light American Ale' kit beer.
5 gallons of Cream of Three Crops*

Next time, we'll start significantly earlier if we're planning on three brews because trying to see what was going on in the kettle while its dark and lots of evaporation happening was impossible.

*This was my very first attempt at an all grain recipe, and I did it following the BIAB method. I think I hit my numbers now only time will tell.

11/6 - Lavender Wheat and Oatmeal Stout double batch brewday

11/13 - BMs Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale Clone

11/21 - Blonde Ale

12/5 - dblvsn's Brrrrleywine and a Dark Mild Partigyle

Tomorrow - Schwarzbier!

Three day weekend, this weekend, I have the New Castle ingredients. I will look to see if I can do something different with the grains I have. Definitely a brew day coming.

Packaging my oatmeal stout this weekend. Three gallons into bottles and two gallons into Cubitainers for an attempt at DIY cask ale (no hand pump yet, just gravity dispensing).

Also racking the cherry melomel off the cherries and into tertiary for a long winter's nap.

If I get time to brew, I'm going to make a clone of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. My Wyeast 1469 should be delivered tomorrow!

I was going to be brewing today; actually took a 1/2 day of vacation to do so. I decanted my starter about an hour ago and realized by tasing and taking a gravity that nothing had happened. I was kind of worried about it when my smack packs didn't swell. I was going to brew a dortmunder export. This makes for a frustrating day. I guess I'll order some new yeast and try again. I wish I would have had some dry lager yeast on hand as a backup.

:(

I am gonna brew my Kelly RIPA tonight!
I freed up my buckets last night putting my stout into 2ndary.
WoooHooo!:rockin:

I am gonna brew my Kelly RIPA tonight!
I freed up my buckets last night putting my stout into 2ndary.
WoooHooo!:rockin:
Haha great name. I just brewed a batch of Jamils Evil Twin. I have planning on brewing this for at least a year so Im pretty excited that I finally got to brew it.

Planning on an Amber tomorrow...and empty fermenter is a sad fermenter. Of course that's if I don't get too filled up on APA tonight!

I've got a simple cider, Berliner Weisse, Juniper Rye Pale Ale, Vanilla Porter, and an IPA to bottle this weekend. God I hate bottling. Gotta get it done for Christmas though.

Back