New pale ale I am doing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Thought it over and this is what I am going to make.

6# Light LME
1# Light DME
8 oz. carapils
8 oz. 40L
8 oz. Golden naked oats.

Hops,
.5 oz. cascade 60 min. AA 7.1%
1 oz. chinook leaf home grown 60 min. AA ?
.5 oz. cascade 40 min. AA 7.1%
1 oz. chinook leaf 40 min. AA ?
1 oz. amarillo 15 min. 8.2%
1 oz. amarillo 5 min. 8.2%
1 oz. ahtanum at 2 min. 4.5%

After reading and taking the advice of everybody I think this looks like a good recipe. I am open to suggestions as to hop schedule.

I'm confused. Either this is a ten gallon batch and your OG is half of what it should be or it's a 5 gallon batch and you IBU's are twice what they need to be (>80 IBU).

I'm assuming 5 gal - I would cut all the hop additions in half.

Yeah that's way too much hops for a pale ale. Just to make sure, I put the recipe in Beer Smith and it came up just short of 130 IBUs assuming you're doing a full volume boil. Even cutting them in half still puts you in IPA territory.

Personally, I would cut all the additions in half, and remove the 40 minute chinook addition entirely. Assuming you're getting typical AA% for your homegrown stuff, the chinook is around 13% and two big additions like that in a pale ale is way too much.

Its a five gallon, and now I am thinking it is more of a IPA. I will have to rethink and adjust the hops.

Thanks for the in put.

No I am shooting for an APA, I want less hop character then an IPA. So I need to adjust the hop accordingly.

Not sure how, I guess I should leave the Home Grown Chinnoks out?

As I said before, I would cut all your hops additions in half, with the exception of the 40 minute chinook addition, which I'd remove completely.

As a general rule, you should not use homegrown hops for bittering, as the AA's are not determinable. I calculated your Chinook AA's at 10 and it was still way high. I think an APA would not use more than 3 oz of hops and most times could get away with 2 oz if an appropriate bittering hop is used for 5 gal.

As a general rule, you should not use homegrown hops for bittering, as the AA's are not determinable. I calculated your Chinook AA's at 10 and it was still way high. I think an APA would not use more than 3 oz of hops and most times could get away with 2 oz if an appropriate bittering hop is used for 5 gal.

+1 on this.

I just use homegrown hops for flavoring and aroma.

+3, Scale back the hops. Otherwise it looks good. Use this chart to get what you want:

Gravity_Hops_Ratio.jpg

homegrown hops are awesome, but i don't trust them for bittering. the 60 minute hop needs to be precise to get any kind of precision and repeatability in your brewing.

Back