how much priming sugar for 500ml bottles?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras Skipper

Reaction score
hi,
just wondering how much priming sugar to use for 500ml bottles?...

any help would be great...

Skips

bottling bucket..??....i was just going to bottle them from the tap at the bottom of my fermenting bin...

????newbie

Ras Skipper said:
bottling bucket..??....i was just going to bottle them from the tap at the bottom of my fermenting bin...
Ah, I see. Most bottlers use a bottling bucket of some sort. They rack the beer into another container to get it off of the trub. Then they add the priming solution (dissolved sugar in a bit of water), stir gently, and bottle.

In your case, you don't have the luxury of a second vessel. John Palmer still recommends the above method with more careful stirring. Follow this link:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

i've read that you can also add a tsp of suger to each bottle before capping....i thought this made a small secondary fermentation in the bottle and also provided the "fizz" and the head...??

Some people do add priming solution to each bottle for true even distribution, but it's a bit more tedious. I would start with the simpler technique of dissolving 3/4c of dextrose in water, stir into your fermenter/bottling bucket and bottle. Stir every now and then to keep things well mixed, good to go.

After stirring, you should probably let it rest about 5-10 min to let the sediment settle back down... Otherwise, you can end up with yeastie clumps in your bottles, and that is boo-urns.

If I were you I would spend the extra 6 bucks on a bottling bucket. Bottling is a PITA as you will soon discover and the bucket makes it much much easier (plus you get a nice even distribution of priming sugar).

Agreed. Bottling is a PITA. I have severe hand problems (mostly due to carpal tunnel from my job), and I usually start having cramps and spasms halfway through bottling... That means that by the end, my hands are shakin' and I'm splashing beer everywhere. Then I still have to cap them all!

Needless to say, I can't wait to get a kegging system OK'd by SWMBO. :D

chriso said:
Agreed. Bottling is a PITA. I have severe hand problems (mostly due to carpal tunnel from my job), and I usually start having cramps and spasms halfway through bottling... That means that by the end, my hands are shakin' and I'm splashing beer everywhere. Then I still have to cap them all!

Needless to say, I can't wait to get a kegging system OK'd by SWMBO. :D

Carpal tunnel sucks; my wife has it and it is a nightmare (especially this time of year because her job becomes much more physically demanding). How do you even manage to bottle a whole batch? (Talk about suffering for your passion).

Just tell your wife the kegging set-up is medically necessary; I'm sure someone around here is an MD who could write you a prescription :D

Hehehe... the worst part is trying to scrub all the buckets and pots and pans afterwards..... that's when the pain really kicks up a notch....

SWMBO has been job hunting for many, many months.... the market here is just kinda hairy... hopefully she'll find something soon so that we can be back to two incomes. Then, I think I hear a massive kegerator calling my name. :D

In addition to the bottling bucket you should also get a bottling wand, they are very helpful and less than 5 bucks.

Donasay said:
In addition to the bottling bucket you should also get a bottling wand, they are very helpful and less than 5 bucks.

+1 to that! That's the only way my hands can still make it through bottling....

Mine looks like this:
bottle_filler_wand_85x165.jpg

Little black pin inside is pushed down by the gravity of the liquid. You push it against the bottom of the bottle, it fills. Then, when the liquid reaches the TOP of the bottle (go all the way to the rim) then you pull it out, it stops its flow, and you have a perfect amount of headspace.

They make them that use springs instead of gravity, I have never used this kind, but have heard they're more difficult to clean. (Sticky springs)

Bottling bucket with spigot and bottling wand are the only way to go. Adding sugar to each bottle with drive you insane.

i always bottle the usual way with a bucket and priming sugar added to that but the cider i just made i'm going to bottle flat primarly. i would however like to carbonate a few of them just to compare. how much corn sugar am i going to want to add to each bottle if its the usual ~330 ml bottle to get a nice middle of the road head?

Inasmuch as nothing has a stale date on the Internet......I thought I'd add my two cents worth for readers of this "old" post.
For my setup, I do not pour my beer into a bottling bucket prior to bottling. I go straight from the secondary into the bottle......therefore need to use the priming powder in the bottle method that the original question alludes to.
My theory is, less pouring.......less stirring......less oxygenation.....less spilling......less cleaning........and, last but not least perfectly accurate priming using exactly a level 1/2 teaspoon per 500ml bottle.
Easy peasy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back