Wyeast Ringwood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CButterworth

Reaction score
After sampling Badger Ales Fursty Ferret a few days ago in the UK, my wife asked me to try to brew something similar. I think I have correct enough ingredients to make a go of it.

Rather than using dry yeast, I purchased a smack-pack of Wyeast Ringwood ale yeast (Ringwood being geographically close to where Badger Ales are brewed and the blurb from Wyeast implied similar flavors to those that I perceived in the original.

So, the Wyeast pack recommends a Diacetyl Rest. Given that primary fermentation will be around 65F, could I simply leave the beer in the primary a two-three days following primary fermentation for a diacetyl rest? I had thought about racking into the keg, topping-off with CO2 (but leaving the keg unpressurized) and putting in my keggerator which is at 56F for the diacetyl rest.

Isn't it the yeast that clean up the diacetyl? If so, then wouldn't it be better to leave the beer in the primary for the rest?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Charlie

I've been doing some experimenting with Ringwood over the last year. For the D Rest I have had good success with 2 approaches:

• In the Primary raise the temperature 6-8 degrees when fermentation is about 80% complete. 3-5 days rest.
  • In the Primary raise the temperature 6-8 degrees after fermentation is complete. 7-10 days rest.

I could never detect Diacetyl in my stouts with Ringwood, but it was there in small amounts in my English Bitters and English IPAs before the D rest.

+1 for the raising temp towards the end of fermentation. I haven't used that particular yeast, but this method helps the keep the yeast active and in suspension right through the end of the ferment and additional resting period. I think that 56 is a little too cool for a d rest. Dropping them temp almost 10 degrees could make them flocculate out and then you wouldn't have much cleaning going on.

Back