Butcher block oil with vitamin E a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last time I used my basket press and fruit grinder, I oiled it all up with butcher block oil fortified with vitamin E to help keep the wood in good shape. Product is made by Howard. I've just pressed 27 gallons. Unfortunately, I can't get the first carboy to start fermenting! The other 4 are fermenting just fine. Does anyone know if the oil could have caused the problem?

Thanks!

-Jeremy

I've been using Goddards for several years and have never had an issue. Although mine does not say anything about vitamin E, I still don't think the oil on the press is the culprit.

Swap a gallon from one of the fermenting batches with a gallon from your first carboy and see if it fires us. WVMJ

It's finally going! I added yeast nutrient, aerated, and put the carboy in a tub full of hot water. I also did the sacred brewing dance and didn't eat anything for 2 days. I just don't understand why this one was so touchy and the other 4 weren't. They were the same bloody apples!

Back