looking for grain storage ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you folks use to store your bulk grain? I have seen some pretty nice food safe rubbermade containers that are air tight but they are like 200-300$.

Post your recomendations, or bettter yet - pics :mug:

+1 for 5-gallon pails with Gamma Lids

Each holds about 20-25 lbs of grain. Research Gamma lids if you aren't sure what they are. They seal air-tight and easily screw on or off!

559099_4499913700953_415237244_n.jpg

I use 5 gallon buckets that have a large rubber O-ring seal in the lid. I got them at tractor supply store.
They seem to work great and we pretty cheap.

Five-gallon buckets with gamma lids. Easy to open and close; they're airtight, and two will hold 50 lbs of grain, making them easier to handle than one container with the whole sack of grain (I buy in bulk).

5 gallon buckets from a local dairy for $1.50 each. And Gamma Lids about $7 from Home Depot.

I have heard of people getting free buckets from grocery stores that had icing in them and Chinese restaurants that had soy sauce.

3.5 gallon icing buckets from my local Giant grocery store, free. Some bakeries will sell theirs for $1 a bucket.

I got a rolling hard plastic container from... ugh... the Container Store. It's designed for pet food. Works real well. I really do like having the wheels, as I roll it from the closet to the kitchen -- makes a difference when full of 50lbs of barley!

I just bought new fermenting buckets. My old ones got repurposed for grain storage. Bought gamma lids and they work great.

I use a steel trash can with a tight-fitting lid, lined w/ a big trash bag for 2-Row. I also have a 55# wheeled Dog Food Dispenser that I got on clearance at Sam's Club for $20 and store Pilsner in it, and it works great. I prefer the wheeled, rectangle form of the Dispenser, vs. the round, heavy form of the steel trash can.

Also you can use 14-gallon drums from eBay, or Vittles Vaults for $39 ea. However, I bought my 14gal drums as fermenters, not as grain storage.
Lastly, I keep my "large" specialty grains (5# rye, 5# munich, etc) in a big 40qt Igloo cooler when I'm not using it as, well, a cooler.

Orange Homer buckets from home depot. One bucket hold a half a sack of grain. It has an o ring and us air tight. And they stack.

I have five of these:

769397143409CS1.jpg

The only difference is that my lids are translucent.

Each one holds a 25kg sack with a bit of room to spare. I keep the base grains on hand-- right now, it's US pale, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pilsner, and wheat. I bought them at Costco a year or so ago, but haven't seen them there since.

Orange Homer buckets from home depot. One bucket hold a half a sack of grain. It has an o ring and us air tight. And they stack.

+1

I don't see the need for the Gamma lids, the HD lids come off easy enough, you just have to work around the rim, takes an extra 7 seconds, and its not like I'm measuring grain very often.

Back