Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On that same line, this is my local liquor store:
543108774_0906357bb7.jpg

I would hate to have to answer the phone there...

I just gave one of my supervisors $25.00 and a 12 pack of my Belgian saison homebrew, for a New Balance 8.0e eliptical trainer.

OK, maybe that wasn't funny. But this was: "Remember...if the subject ever comes up around my wife, you paid me $125.00 for this thing. Got that?" :)

I just gave one of my supervisors $25.00 and a 12 pack of my Belgian saison homebrew, for a New Balance 8.0e eliptical trainer.

OK, maybe that wasn't funny. But this was: "Remember...if the subject ever comes up around my wife, you paid me $125.00 for this thing. Got that?" :)

:rockin:

"And if the BATF ever comes around, there was no beer involved. Got that?"

Just saw an add for a wine cooler for sale. "Used once. Only gets down to 4degC (39degF) not my idea of ice cold beer". Umm. How cold do you need your beer to be? Frozen?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well there are different kinds, like pear or cherry or whatever. Name a fruit and someone has made a cider out of it. But they are still (most likely) apple based.....cause you know...that's what cider IS.

Not too necro and old post, but...

The term cider is specifically for fermented beverages made out of apples. A "cider" made of pears is called perry. Pretty sure a fermented drink made out of cherries would just be a cherry-wine (or sparkling cherry-wine if it has bubbles).

Not that terms like "pear cider" haven't been used by professionals to market their product, but it isn't a correct use of the term cider. Some countries have laws that say in order to label a beverage a cider a certain percent of the contents must be apple juice and there are trade organizations that have similar policies for their members and/or labeling acceptance.

Maybe this is only funny to me, but my brother posted a pic of him drinking Tecate at a golf outing. Someone told him to grab a good beer, "like Corona". Oh boy.

I won invites to a party for me and a couple friends in a very private setting at the Labatt Blue Headquarters downtown for opening night football. Free food and drinks - drinks, obviously being all Labatt products / a few styles of Pyramid and Magic Hat. Being a fan of Pyramid Curveball, I took full advantage of drinking it for free all night. Enjoying an evening in a gorgeous bar on the tenth floor or so, overlooking the sunset over the city, was constantly barraged by belligerent old men and a few college barely legals requesting I stop drinking girly drinks and grab a Blue.

Top of my Facebook news feed this morning -

I was actually reading an article about Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy strategy and how it's been extremely successful specifically because shandies are not that well known in the United States. By associating their version of the shandy with summer, they hoped to compete with other beers and drinks that have a strong summer image such as "Corona" which has been really pushing for a summer or tropical image.

As a result, a ton of people are only learning about shandies through Leinenkugel and now have the incorrect idea that shandies are a summer drink when actually they are no more a summer drink than beers in general are.

As much as it annoys me, I have to admit it was a pretty ingenious strategy which is totally paying off. They've also succeeded in getting a lot of people to think that Leinenkugel's "Summer Shandy" is the "original shandy" despire the fact that shandies have been around since long before the Leinenkugel company ever existed, although their popularity has been mainly outside of the US, focused mostly in Western Europe (I think England is where shandies are the most popular).

On that note, I hope to actually get up to the amateur welder level over the winter. I have a stick welder that I've never fully utilized. I've done a little repair work in the past, but I haven't fired it up in about 4 years.

Practice with 6011 AC overhead. Master that and bow to none.

Practice with 6011 AC overhead. Master that and bow to none.

That may be a little ways down the road. I would like to weld new brackets on my trailer to move the axle back, so that would be a valuable skill to have.

I used to use a lot of 6010, 8010, and 7018. once and a while I'd use 7024 for the cap on a pipe weld. today I welded some small things with 6013 since I didn't have any shield gas for the wire feed.

Okay trying to keep humor in the derailment. I can weld anything but the crack. of dawn (they dont sell a rod for it) or big Johnson welding rods, you can fill any crack with a big Johnson.

I grew up in NJ near this sign for a liquor store...

middletownclown-63840.jpg

The Wikipedia entry says it's called the Evil Clown of Middletown...I never heard it called that...
I always thought it looked more like it was... Well, let's just say my friends and I always called it the Jerkoff Clown...
Good liquor store though...decent craft selection the last time I was thru there...

I grew up in NJ near this sign for a liquor store...

middletownclown-63840.jpg

The Wikipedia entry says it's called the Evil Clown of Middletown...I never heard it called that...
I always thought it looked more like it was... Well, let's just say my friends and I always called it the Jerkoff Clown...
Good liquor store though...decent craft selection the last time I was thru there...

I remember that clown!
I grew up around that area as well and that thing was a land mark. It was kinda creepy as a kid. Never even notice that "strategically" placed hand.
Is it still there?

As much as it annoys me, I have to admit it was a pretty ingenious strategy which is totally paying off. They've also succeeded in getting a lot of people to think that Leinenkugel's "Summer Shandy" is the "original shandy" despire the fact that shandies have been around since long before the Leinenkugel company ever existed, although their popularity has been mainly outside of the US, focused mostly in Western Europe (I think England is where shandies are the most popular).

From Scotland here and shandies are a bit of a bit strange. Older generations definitely drink them, preferring a Lager Shandy to a Cider when it's particularly warm and they need something refreshing. Us young ones have them occasionally. For example, if I'm the designated driver I'll have a pint of shandy. It lasts longer than a small beer anyway and contains about the same alcohol.

I also know a few people who have Lager-Tops (do you have lager tops?). Basically it's 4/5ths lager and then topped up with tap lemonade at the top. Takes the edge off it, again, if you just need something quick and refreshing.

I remember that clown!
I grew up around that area as well and that thing was a land mark. It was kinda creepy as a kid. Never even notice that "strategically" placed hand.
Is it still there?

AFAIK it's still there...been a while since I've been back personally, but I know people in the area still, and I think they would have told me if it had been removed.
I also think if there was an attempt to remove it, there would be a certain amount of public outcry...as you say, it is sort of a landmark. Not as well know, perhaps, as Lucy the Elephant in Margate, or the Long Branch Windmill, but still a pretty cool piece of Jersey shore heritage...

From Scotland here and shandies are a bit of a bit strange. Older generations definitely drink them, preferring a Lager Shandy to a Cider when it's particularly warm and they need something refreshing. Us young ones have them occasionally. For example, if I'm the designated driver I'll have a pint of shandy. It lasts longer than a small beer anyway and contains about the same alcohol.

I also know a few people who have Lager-Tops (do you have lager tops?). Basically it's 4/5ths lager and then topped up with tap lemonade at the top. Takes the edge off it, again, if you just need something quick and refreshing.

I've heard of lager-tops, but I think they only go by that name in the UK. In the US, I have had what you've described (a lager with just a small portion of lemonade), but it wasn't called a lager-top.

I lived in Japan for around 10 years and shandygaffs are somewhat popular in bars and izakayas (Japanese style bar and grill) there. In Japan, they're basically just half lager and half ginger ale since ginger beer is somewhat hard to get in Japan.

Latest posts

Back