Let's Make a Kolsch...Colorado Kolsch that is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
Here is what I have so far. I will brew this in two weeks I hope. Let me know what you think so that I can make any changes necessary before then!

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/7/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Ben Bradford
Boil Size: 5.93 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 6 Gallon Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 11.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.00 %
2 lbs 13.6 oz Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 29.00 %
12.4 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7.91 %
0.52 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
0.52 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 items Campden Tablet (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
8.0 oz Maltodextrin (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.09 %
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.84 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.82 %
Bitterness: 17.0 IBU Calories: 217 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 9.33 lb
Sparge Water: 1.40 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 2.15 gal of water at 145.8 F 133.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 1.87 gal of water at 183.5 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 1.63 gal of water at 206.6 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Double step infusion - for medium body beers requiring a protein rest. Used primarily in beers high in unmodified grains or adjuncts.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Forced CO2 Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.68 psi Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 7.0 days
Storage Temperature: 40.0 F

Notes

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the Colorado Kolsch. We call it a derivative because technically only true Kolschs are brewed in Colonge (Koln) Germany. It’s a hybrid style that traditionally uses ale yeast and ferments at lager temperatures. Ours is true to style having a light malt character and subtle fruitiness. Traditionally Nobel hop varieties are used however we use Mt Hood in ours which is a cousin of German Hallertau hops.

I am using some pilsner malt, some wheat and some dextrin malt for body but the bulk of the grist (as with all beers) is simply a 2-row base pale malt. All commercial brewers use this as the base for most recipes and it’s usually what is in their grain silos outside the brewery.

I wouldn’t say most of the flavor is derived from the yeast however a light fruity ester is produced by the ale yeast. I feel that Kolsch in general is a showcase in the subtleties of all the ingredients. Each one (malt, hops and yeast) have a delicate balance.

Ken Martin
Head Brewer
Steamworks Brewing Co

Water pretty good up here in the mountains, but I have never really nailed down the bicarbonate hardness, so I just adjust for ph.

The head brewer specifically mentioned dextrin. I assume for body and mouthfeel.

Water pretty good up here in the mountains, but I have never really nailed down the bicarbonate hardness, so I just adjust for ph.

The head brewer specifically mentioned dextrin. I assume for body and mouthfeel.

I meant the hardness of the water, you want real soft water. I definitely NOT use the 5.2ph, and Id dilute with RO or Distilled water. And use a little acid malt like 2%.

As for the maltodextrin, Kolsch should be on the lighter/drier side, but its your beer, if you want more body by all means add it or you could just up the mash temp to 154-158º depending on how much body you want.

I believe that my water is already pretty soft, but cannot get info about if is temporary or permanent hardness. You seem pretty knowledgable about water chemistry, which is not an area that I have done that much reading.

Here is the info I have been able to get off of the internet so far.

Water hardness varies from 35 to 110 mg/L averaging about 80 mg/L (4.68 grains/g) annually. PH varies from 7.5 to 8.0. Chloride has averaged about 6 mg/L over the previous 10-year period.
Chlorine levels entering the distribution system ranged from 0.81 to 1.83 mg/L. Most of the iron and manganese is removed – trace amounts remain. Additional fluoride is added to the water for dental health benefits to a target level of 1.10 mg/L.

Detected cotaminents as follows in ppm
Copper 1.3
Lead 15
Sodium 1.9

My water is pretty acidic at somewhere around 7.8, and that is why I have been using the 5.2 stabilizer.

Actually its the opposite, its more basicity. If it was acidic it be lower than 7.0. The problem with 5.2 is it a guessing game. Looking at your water I dilute with 2/3 the mash volume with RO/Distilled water and use 2.5-3% acid/sauermalz malt, to drop the pH.

Back