New hop trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops, and I jumped in head first. I spent the day today constructing a hop trellis for the 3 rhizomes I planted about 3 weeks ago. I have chinook, cascade, and willamette. The trellis is doubled up 2x4x16 pt construction lumber screwed together with deck screws. I would have gone with 4x4's but they would have doubled the project cost. I ran 1/8" guy lines with turnbuckles to 3/8" rebar that I bent over to form a "u" from each end, and 1/8" cable from the base of each upright through pulleys to form the top line. They are secured with clips to eyebolts. To tension the top line I slacked the guys, clipped it in place, then tightened the turnbuckles. The uprights are 3' down and anchored with about 4 bags each of concrete, as well as being braced to the fence (this was going to be temporary while the concrete set, but I decided to throw some angle straps on there and leave the braces for a bit of additional support. The hops have 2 jute twine strings to climb per rhizome, and each string is about 15' tall.

IMG_20110521_173731.jpg

IMG_20110521_173723.jpg

IMG_20110521_171918.jpg

Just be careful a sidearm doesn't make the jump to that wire. One of the wild patches I picked last year had completely swallowed a transformer on a power pole, having reached across 6' or so from the tree the bine grew up.

Back