Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost Coast Tangerine Ale
Abita Purple Haze

This one is my fault - I've always liked stout/cider combos, and one day at Yardhouse I had the bright idea of floating Guiness over SA cherry wheat. BAD IDEA!!!

harpoon%2Bwinter%2Bwarmer.jpg

Hands down. Horrible, horrible beer.

^That stuff is only good for 2-3 weeks in the winter. Good Christmas beer.

Fosters. First time I had it I was grossed out. Then I found out it is supposed to have that vanilla flavor, so I guess its not too bad.

^That stuff is only good for 2-3 weeks in the winter. Good Christmas beer.

I respectfully disagree. The only time that beer is good is when it's going down the drain. It tastes like someone poured a bottle of artificial cinnamon flavoring into a thin, overcarbed brown ale. I've had some great winter warmers - that is definitely not one of them.

Anheuser-Busch Wild Blue Blueberry Lager.

thought this couldnt be too bad, I was wrong. my mom liked if cuz it tasted like lightly carbonated blueberry liquor

omg. Bud Ice. just to see what it tastes like now. I used to drink it in high school a lot b/c thats all my friends older brother would get us since he wanted to get drunk but was poor. had it 2 or 3 years back and gagged on the first swig.

how the hell i used to drink that is beyond me.

\also mad dog 20-20 gives me mild heart attacks. another i tried for nostalgia and my arm went numb

Schmidts = gave me the sh*ts

Don't like Sam Summer once they changed their recipe years back, and can't stand their lambic. Other than that - all the wonderful times I've drank dollar drafts off of moldy tap lines. I guess they are good once you get past the first 5.

The worst beer I ever had was the first one I had when I got back from Europe.

I didn't realize how flavorful and unique the European craft beers were until I drank a North American beer.

It sounds elitist to say it like that, but its true.

Golden Eagle. Had it from a bottle in a reputable indian restaurant in town and someone screwed up...large. When the waitress looks at you and says "You're the fourth customer to send one back this week. I'm going to stop telling people we have it." You either have a skunked case or a bad brew.

Schmidts = gave me the sh*ts

Don't like Sam Summer once they changed their recipe years back, and can't stand their lambic. Other than that - all the wonderful times I've drank dollar drafts off of moldy tap lines. I guess they are good once you get past the first 5.

Seems to taste a little different every year, imo. I believe they tinker w/ the recipe every year.

One of the worst tasting beer I have drank was Marstons pedigree. which is a classic real ale in England. when its was good its was well worth drinking, but when its bad, it was like drinking pure Sulphur. and it used to be like that a lot.

I second the real dislike of Sam Adams summer- i recently had a bottle of the current run and the only thing i could say about it was 'flintstones vitamins' - my buddy cracked one open and said 'holy s**t, you nailed it- flintstones vitamins!'

RMitch said:
Seems to taste a little different every year, imo. I believe they tinker w/ the recipe every year.

I just said this to my wife last night. I agree. This year tastes a lot more lemony. I really liked this brew a few years back but I'm not so into it now.

McBrewskie said:
Pyramids Thunderhead IPA. Tasted like it was mixed with olive juice and unwipped butt.

I haven't had pyramid in a long time. I remember liking their Apricot. I wasn't as snobby then. Not sure if I would still like it.

I haven't had pyramid in a long time. I remember liking their Apricot. I wasn't as snobby then. Not sure if I would still like it.

Had the apricot recently. It was fine. My assumption is something was wrong with this Thunderhead, still I'll never touch it again. First time I've ever made a bartender give me something else simply because I couldn't stomach the crap I ordered. Other than that the worst I've had is Tecate, disgusting what one will drink in college.

Stella Artois...It would probably be a very fine brew when fresh, but those green bottles make some nasty beers.

McBrewskie said:
Had the apricot recently. It was fine. My assumption is something was wrong with this Thunderhead, still I'll never touch it again. First time I've ever made a bartender give me something else simply because I couldn't stomach the crap I ordered. Other than that the worst I've had is Tecate, disgusting what one will drink in college.

I had Tecate for the first time like 3 months ago. The guy I was working for gave me them and they were cold so down they went. Its not good but if thats the worst then you are lucky. The bar I go to alot has 1.00 bottles from 10-12. I wouldnt take the chance but I am always skint. The bottles are all over the date. Big tease when I find Aventinus there. Thinking it was strong enough to withstand some aging I bought it. Nope it was terrible. They must have kept these things outside in the sun. Finished that evening by the polish owner buying be a polish super beer. Wow that was like drinking gasoline. I lived to make this post.

emjay said:
A lot of people are saying stuff like Bud Light, and as someone who will not order a macrobrew even if I'm at a bar or restaurant with no craft beer whatsoever, I find that a pretty stupid and even pretentious thing to say.

And if Bud Light truly is the worst beer somebody has tried, it says much more about the person than it does about Bud Light. It says, "I am a person who hasn't tried very many different beers." Because, really, Bud Light tastes like fizzy water. It doesn't have a disgusting taste, it simply has no taste.

When you consider all the beers out there that aren't just bad, but can even have an intensity of flavor on par with an IIPA or barleywine, Bud Light just falls entirely off the radar. I mean truly offensive beers that you might even consider vomiting just to get that crap out of you, and the only thing stopping you is the realization that you'll have to taste it again on the way back up. Beer so vile that you would gladly drink your buddy's Bud Light because it's the closest thing around that might help you get the taste out of your mouth.

Sometimes it's the result of an infected or otherwise bad bottle or batch. Other times the beer is just genuinely that bad, whether through poor brewing/fermentation techniques, terrible recipe design, or some combination of factors.

Either way, truly disgusting beers, while not typical, aren't THAT rare, either. To have never encountered something worse than a tasteless Bud Light only implies that the person hasn't really tried many different beers at all.

I've been thinking about this post ever since I read it. And after reading many others that followed I have decided that I disagree. While it does seem like naming Bud as the worst beer is the "hipster" thing to do, I do believe it is one of the worst beers out there. Let me tell you why....

As I have read through the posts on this thread I have discovered that many different beers have both advocates and harsh critics. Beers that some people love, others hate. A one man's trash is another man's treasure sort of thing. The commonality between most of these beers is that they have flavor. (regardless of if you like the flavor or not). So to me, the worst beer would be one without flavor. A beer that doesn't even try. I believe bud is one of there's beers. But it's just another man's opinion.

On regards to the BMC's... I drink miller products all the time and don't feel one bit bad about it or lesser of a beer lover. Is it in my top 10 or even top hundred? No, but it's dirt cheap compared to craft brew and doesn't taste half bad so sometimes it just fits right in.

I just had it. Shiner 102 Double Wheat. It's like chewing on a brown grocery sack soaked with soda water. With every whince and grimace, SWMBO and her mother insisted I dump it. I just could not bring myself to do it, so I finished it with a pinched nose and a Boulevard chaser.

On to the next!

While it does seem like naming Bud as the worst beer is the "hipster" thing to do
it,s cool. the new hipster thing to do is to stick up for bmc and to say that it is really hard to produce and it is a classic example of light American lager:rolleyes: ok. sure, maybe it is those things but it still ****ing sucks. don,t stick up for someone who makes ****ty beer. it's not like they need any body sticking up for them anyway. end rant

The worst beer I ever had was the first one I had when I got back from Europe.

I didn't realize how flavorful and unique the European craft beers were until I drank a North American beer.

It sounds elitist to say it like that, but its true.

I see what youre saying. Im originally from the U.S. and after moving over-seas I see there's a lot that we americans still have to learn about beer.

Anyone ever had Sierra Nevada Summerfest? It's really skunky is that the goal for the beer or was this sixer sitting on the shelves too long?

Nashbrewer said:
Anyone ever had Sierra Nevada Summerfest? It's really skunky is that the goal for the beer or was this sixer sitting on the shelves too long?

You must have gotten some bad bottles, that beer is awesome! I'm drinking one right now!

Nashbrewer said:

Could be I was at a certain bottle shop for the first time this week. Bought Lake Erie Monster which is a seasonal. It didn't taste right so looked for a date. Sure enough it was a yet passed the date so it sat there for at least 2 years. I don't even think they had AC. So yeah just because it's a seasonal doesn't mean its fresh.

Sierra has a magical date code hidden just above the bar code, took me 2 years to learn of it. Makes that impulse buy much harder if I know the beer is older than 6 months on a store shelf in a 6er. Also I've heard some people attributing Saaz aroma as skunkyish.

back in the day when me and my buddies were hanging around the bay area, we would by the cheapest crap we could find to get as drunk as possible. As a Christian I no longer subscribe to that life style. But, during that era we got hold of some 40oz's that were called "panther or "black panther" anyways we never called it by it's real name. We called it "panther piss" which probably would have tasted better than the stuff in those bottles.

If I ever brew something that tastes like it I will throw it out.

vegas20s said:
back in the day when me and my buddies were hanging around the bay area, we would by the cheapest crap we could find to get as drunk as possible. As a Christian I no longer subscribe to that life style. But, during that era we got hold of some 40oz's that were called "panther or "black panther" anyways we never called it by it's real name. We called it "panther piss" which probably would have tasted better than the stuff in those bottles.

If I ever brew something that tastes like it I will throw it out.

I could totally quote Anchor Man right now. Ok I will.. "it has real bits of panther in it" lol

I have a new number one Fruli Strawberry Wheat. I don't know if it was a bad bottle or it's supposed to smell like puke but I couldn't even get my nose close enough to take a sip. I hope it was a bad bottle because they advertise the world beer awards on the bottle, I don't see this ever winning an award.

Back