Hefeweizen specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a extract hefeweizen next weekend. After researching online a bit I was wondering what sort of specialty grains, if any, would be proper to use with a hefe extract recipe? Alot of the recipes I have seen don't have any grains, just extract, hops and yeast. What would be the benefit of adding specialty grains to a hefe and which ones would you recommend?

The only other grains I use in mine other than wheat and 2-row is vienna. Not always, but sometimes. It's not really needed though. You could get a great hefe using just extracts.

+1 on that. I've had great results brewing hefeweizen with 6lbs muntons (I think) Wheat DME, no speciality required to get a very authentic taste. Worth laying out for the wyeast wiehenstephan yeast if you can get it.

ps: you'd need to steep something for a dunkelweizen, though.

[Edit: pps: that's muntons wheat DME, which is 60/40 or 55/45, can't remember which]

My all grain Hefeweizen's are 40% Pils and 60% wheat malt. Since most wheat extracts are some percentage of wheat and pilsner, there really is no need for specialty grains. Its a very simple grain bill. Like most other German/Bavarian beer, its the yeast and fermentation that make it truly unique.

Back