Superior Lager dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I tried the Superior Lager (brand) dry yeast last night for the first time. Pretty sure my wort was at pitchable temps, I didn't rehydrate because I never do for dry yeast (always seems to work fast, one less step to mess up). I used two packets given they are 7 mg, vs. 11 mg typical for dry ale yeasts.

This morning I did not see any activity. Anyone familiar with this yeast, does it need more time or should I pitch some more? Normally with dry ale yeast I'm fermenting in 6 hours.

1.055, not that refined about aeration. Never had a problem with it before just violently splashing the wort into the primary fermenter. I know that's not ideal, but again, never a problem for me before.

I would say you mildly under pitched, you should definitely have used 3 packs, so it might take a bit longer for it to take off. But lager generally takes quite a bit longer to get going. Mine usually take anywhere from 24-48 hours before they really get chugging along.

Lagers take longer to start, longer to ferment and longer to age. Mainly temperature related.

24 hours in and fermenting slowly. Just much slower than dry ale yeast.

I have three packs waiting for a pils (I will rehydrate them.) I've not found much on the yeast but apparently it ferments clean and is slow to start. It will be my first lager. :mug:

I didn't see much on this either, but seems to get a better review than Saflager. I thought that one was way too fruity for me so I'm hopeful on this one. It wasn't in Beersmith either so I had to add it. Is it new?

Latest posts

Back