air compressor hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheels

Reaction score
has anyone used air compressor hose for co2 and what are the draw backs if any. i know there is a slight size differance 1/16th of an inch but i can't think of any reason not to use it.

HD has 100 ft for $22, thats about $40 cheaper for the same amount

Before using it, use your nose. My compressor hoses smell like a bicycle tire...strongly! Not a flavor or odor I'd want to dissolve into my beer.

Be sure to smell a cut end of the hose. If it has no smell, you're probably good. Seeing as how a typical home installation is usually just a few feet, I'm not sure it's a good place to cut corners.

Before using it, use your nose. My compressor hoses smell like a bicycle tire...strongly! Not a flavor or odor I'd want to dissolve into my beer.

Be sure to smell a cut end of the hose. If it has no smell, you're probably good. Seeing as how a typical home installation is usually just a few feet, I'm not sure it's a good place to cut corners.

+1 Not worth the potential damage to your beer. Just get some airline from Micromatic.com and life will be good.

no i dont need 100ft but i do need alot. 5 taps in a big refrigerator with a secondary regulator and the room to expand to 10 taps. i think i'm going to give it a shot. the beer will be a commerical IPA that i've had on tap many times so if there is any flavor difference i'll know where it came from. i smelled the cut end of the hose and i dont think it will be a problem.

no i dont need 100ft but i do need alot. 5 taps in a big refrigerator with a secondary regulator and the room to expand to 10 taps. i think i'm going to give it a shot. the beer will be a commerical IPA that i've had on tap many times so if there is any flavor difference i'll know where it came from. i smelled the cut end of the hose and i dont think it will be a problem.

I think in the end you'd only save $20-30 with the life expectancy of the hoses is it really worth the risk? If it turns your beer to the darkside of the force the loss of beer will cost more than the proper hose.

Good luck
John

thanks for all the replys, i'll post if something bad happens to the beer. i already have the air hose, easier to get it from HD vs driving an hour to the LHBS or ordering online. i'll post pics in the kegerator forum when complete

Another consideration is how the hose behaves under cold conditions. You don't want something that goes stiff as a board and is hard to manipulate.

a little update on the air hose. the size difference is only 1/16 of inch but that made a big difference using my quick disconnects to change from sanke to cornys. i had a leak and lost all my co2. no flavor was added and hose was fine under cold temps but i just couldn't get the clamp tight enough around the hose barb. air compressor hose not recommended

Back