pacman ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
So- as many of you must know- Wyeast will put out these specialty lines of yeast from outstanding microbrew co's. I see that a while ago, they were selling Rogue's Pacman Ale Yeast. I wish I was brewing back then! Does anyone know if they intend to re-release this type? I can't find data that specific on thier web site.

oguss0311 said:
So- as many of you must know- Wyeast will put out these specialty lines of yeast from outstanding microbrew co's. I see that a while ago, they were selling Rogue's Pacman Ale Yeast. I wish I was brewing back then! Does anyone know if they intend to re-release this type? I can't find data that specific on thier web site.

Email them. They always answer my questions pretty well, sometimes it takes a few days but they have always responded to me.

I have cultured pacman yeast from a couple bottles of Rogue beer. If you are comfortable making starters, it's not very hard.

Whats the deal with this yeast anyways. What makes it so spectacular? Or is it just that it is from a well known microbrewery, and people want to use it just for that reason.

firepunk said:
Whats the deal with this yeast anyway? What makes it so spectacular?
It's a very aggressive yeast strain that makes a great beer! It ferments quickly, cleanly, and flocculates well. Plus, getting that signature Rogue flavor in your beer is impossible without the use of PacMan.

Funkenjaeger said:
I have cultured pacman yeast from a couple bottles of Rogue beer. If you are comfortable making starters, it's not very hard.

Which brews are bottle conditioned?

Ryan_PA said:
Which brews are bottle conditioned?
Most of them, if not all, as far as I know.

I used shakespeare stout and brutal bitter, if I recall correctly. It's fairly easy to tell by looking for sediment in the bottles.

To answer the original question, I think Wyeast brings Pacman yeast around for a little while every year, don't they? So, if you missed it this time around, you may just need to wait a year.

Cool- I may e-mail wyeast then- I knew it was an option, but assumed that it may be fruitless.
Bird- Is your LHBS a larger one that will ship? If indeed they do have some left- I'd love to order it!

Anyone know if the dry-hopped amber ale still has any yeast kicking around in it? Last night on a whim I poured half a bottle into my erlenmyer with some amber DME and put it on a stirplate. Nothing so far, but it's only been 12 hrs.

Wyeast is beholden to the breweries when it comes to putting out proprietary strains, so Rogue would have to offer it again.

It is incredibly easy to culture this yeast from any 22oz Rogue brew. If you don't want to go that route, however, White Labs Pacific Ale yeast is a very good substitute as is Wyeast American Ale II.

I've just gotten through propagating some pacman from a sixer of Dead Guy. Since that post, I've let it ferment out, poured the beer off of 'em, added some boiled and cooled water and transfered them to sanitized beer bottles and capped 'em. I've got plans to brew some 10 gallons each of a pale and brown ale, with 5 gallons of each I'll do some strawberries in the secondary. I've just got to get to the other side of Christmas before the head office (wife) will release funds for more brewing.

I'm planning on brewing one of the beers, and after transfering to secondary, just dumping the second wort on top of the cakes.... probably do the pale first. I plan on trying washing the yeast after the primary fermentation of the second batch. Anybody have any ideas how many generations I should be able to get out of this yeast? I'd like to try for maybe a half-dozen.

My post on the propagation:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46136

Allan

Back