Advice on cleaning hop spider bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdub1782

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built a hop spider over Christmas and used it for the first time today. It worked great, but I have to believe that folks on this forum have devised good methods for cleaning the bag.

at the end of my boil, I removed the hop spider and set it in a bucket. During cleanup I disconnected the bag and emptied the hop material as best I could. I then turned the bag inside out and soaked the bag in a couple gallons of warm water. Currently I have it soaking overnight in a weak PBW solution.

Is there an easier way?

I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from lowes. Cost me 3 bucks for 2 bags. I just tie them off when im done and throw the hops and all away. i have a dog so i dont run any risk of him getting to the hop bag somehow or getting hop particles. So it goes straight in the trashbag with my spent grain

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably keep rinsing and cleaning and try to get a few uses out of each bag.

KuntzBrewing - I understand the logic of not spending too much time maintaining a $1.50 item, my problem is that I NEVER spend $3 at Lowes or HD. I'll probably just pick up a new set every once in a while if I am already going there -- but that just adds to the my problem of spending too much there. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably keep rinsing and cleaning and try to get a few uses out of each bag.

KuntzBrewing - I understand the logic of not spending too much time maintaining a $1.50 item, my problem is that I NEVER spend $3 at Lowes or HD. I'll probably just pick up a new set every once in a while if I am already going there -- but that just adds to the my problem of spending too much there. :)

I dump the hop material, rinse well and let air dry.

This works great, takes little time, and I am still using the same bag since 2009, never one issue or bad batch.

I built a hop spider over Christmas and used it for the first time today. It worked great, but I have to believe that folks on this forum have devised good methods for cleaning the bag.

at the end of my boil, I removed the hop spider and set it in a bucket. During cleanup I disconnected the bag and emptied the hop material as best I could. I then turned the bag inside out and soaked the bag in a couple gallons of warm water. Currently I have it soaking overnight in a weak PBW solution.

Is there an easier way?

Yes there is. Rinse it off and you're done. It's really not a big deal if it is discolored. Since it gets boiled for a long time each use, it's not like it's going to contaminate anything.

This actually makes me reconsider buying bags a lot lol may start the dump and rinse cycle.

agree with the rinse and forget method. only time i toss mine in trash is if i forget it drying outside and a bird ****s on it, or if it falls in motor oil from where the Harley marks his territory in the garage!

Rinse and forget is good...I've also found that after it drys any hops you didn't get drys up and easily comes out

Back