Last brew day of the year 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be brewing my first SMaSH today. Probably won't get started until at least late afternoon-ish, so I'll be cutting it close for calling it a 2012 batch.

This batch will make for a total of about 50 gallons of beer :tank: brewed in my first year of brewing (started last January). I'm hoping I'll top that in 2013, but who knows.

I'd really like to try a good mead to see if it's something I'd want to brew. I've never had one.

I have a case of mead that I made 17 years ago! I tastes fantastic. It is like drinking fine champagne.:rockin:

I also brewed a milk stout yesterday. Looking forward to that.

Just racked my vienna lager to a keg, holding steady under my porch at 34F. It'll sit there until Feb, to be enjoyed while ice fishing in MN. Made a Galaxy/Cascade IPA yesterday, pretty pumped for that one, the smells are amazing!

My last beer of the year is a Chocolate Stout!
Need some advice, I put in Dark Chocolate (1/4 cup) cocoa powder in the last 3 min of the boil, and then another 1/4 cup when I transferred to the secondary. I tasted it and did not really get the result I expected, should I put some of the home brewer Chocolate flavoring in when I keg it? Or just roll with what I get?

My last beer of the year is a Chocolate Stout!
Need some advice, I put in Dark Chocolate (1/4 cup) cocoa powder in the last 3 min of the boil, and then another 1/4 cup when I transferred to the secondary. I tasted it and did not really get the result I expected, should I put some of the home brewer Chocolate flavoring in when I keg it? Or just roll with what I get?

I didn't care for the Chocolate Extract when I used it. I'd either get some cocoa nibs and rack on top of them for a couple weeks or just roll with it. With chocolate stouts or just stouts in general the roast flavors and chocolate flavors come out more with a little bit of aging time....

Final brew session for the year was yesterday. Bottled 15 gallons (last big bottling session EVER since keg set up is in route :rockin:) and brewed 11 gallons of a basic APA.

Yesterday, I brewed 5 gallons of my 3rd Age IPA. It's bubbling away in the fermenter with the distinctive smell of WLP029 in the air.

Bohemian Pilsener, 5 gallons, partial mash, brewed on Dec 30. Wort tasted awesome. Bubbling right along now.

Brewed an all grain version of the White House Honey Porter on 12/29 using fresh orange blossom honey. Due to some volume errors, I overshot my volume and undershot my OG (came to 1.060 instead of 1.065) and now I have a bucket that is damn near ready to blow. Hope the bucket doesn't blow before I get off work and can get a blow-off hose and rig it up. Wound up doing my first decoction with it due to a massive temp drop in my cooler mash tun so I expect this one will turn out amazing.

Back