Help! Condensation in my keezer :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting a lot of condensation build up in my keezer. So much so that I'm getting some small pools at the bottom. I pretty sure I have a good seal between the body/collar/lid. I have an 8.8 cu ft freezer. I'm running one 120mm pc fan pulling air up from the bottom of the freezer to the top. My temp control is set to kick on at 40 and turn off at 37. My collar is walnut 1.25" thick with 1.5" foam insulation. I don't know if I need to turn down the temp or if I need some more fans or if it's something completely different.

Thanks!

did you use any foam/weather stripping between the wood and the top of the freezer (I mean below the collar) ? I don't think more fans would help. Put a thing of damprid in there, it seems to work pretty well.

Yeah I did use foam weather stripping on the collar between it and the freezer body. Hmm
Yeah I'll try that

Like SHF said, hopefully you have seals between the collar and the freezer as well as between the collar and the lid. I have DampRid in my keezer and it works great.
Also, with this super hot weather it may be where your keezer is located as to why it's building up condensation.

iijakii said:
Did you caulk your collar's joints?

Yup. I didn't caulk between the collar and the freezer well because most people on here haven't and I felt like I had a good seal with the weather stripping

VaBrewer said:
Like SHF said, hopefully you have seals between the collar and the freezer as well as between the collar and the lid. I have DampRid in my keezer and it works great.
Also, with this super hot weather it may be where your keezer is located as to why it's building up condensation.

Yeah im in MA and we've been having some really warm days. It's in my kitchen against a outside wall. However my AC is pretty close to it but that's not running all the time. Usually only when I get home from work for a few hours until I go to bed

If your collar-joints are sealed then all that really leaves is the weather-stripping. You sure it's sitting flat? Maybe the lid-mount is weighted more one way and one corner is kind of not sealing or something. I have no idea how plausible, but seems like a possibility. Try wiping up the condensation and set something on the lid to make sure it's pressed down, see if that does anything.

My old keezer develops moisture w/ no collar.

It has an open drain thingy (1 cm hole) could that be a problem?

I use the Silica Gel kitty litter. You can buy (laundry detergent) size bottles that you add to kitty litter. Its the same as the little do not eat packs in your new shoes. Just open the bottle and set in. You can also dry it out if you want to go the the hassle of doing that.

rvklein said:
I just open up the drain at the base once in a while and let it soak into the concrete... (it's in my basement)

Yeah I'm not sure the hardwood in my kitchen would appreciate that haha

I have the issue too and found that once i ensured no outside air can get in it helped out a lot. I still have some rags on strings i just drop down in a few spots to soak up any water that would otherwise sit on the bottom, whenever i am checking things out inside i pull them up to see if they need to dry out. check stuff like around the gas line hole, or any other penetrations you have going to the inside. even a slight gap from your lid seal will give you problems. preventing any kind of air leak will help you out.
good luck.

I line the bottom of my keezer with a few layers of scrap cardboard. Catches/absorbs spills and condensation, and when the kegs kick I swap out the liner.

Back