Help with info for a brewing project.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksailj

Reaction score
I've been doing research on a large project that I plan on doing most likely next year due to funding. The project is a tribute beer for a friend who passed to be released at one of his famils shindigs. The plan is do to 55+ gallon batch of porter using Cluster & Cascade hops used in his favorite beer, Yuengling Lager, then to age in a Jack Daniels Oak Barrel that we will get when we drive out to the distillery.

The main thing that I need help with is working with water as I am new to dealing with it. I asked on the fourm if someone near Jack Daniels Distillery could give me their water report and this is what one brewer 55 miles away gave me:
pH 8.0
TDS 214
Na 6 ppm
K 1 ppm
Ca 58 ppm
Total hardness CaCO2 166 ppm
NO3-N 0.9 ppm (safe)
SO4-S 5 ppm
Cl 12 ppm
CO3 6 ppm
HCO3 172 ppm
Total Alkalinity CaCO3 151 ppm

Could someone from Pottsville Pa (Location of Yuengling) please share their water report with me so that I can compare? Once some kind soul does that and I look over the info, would some more experienced water guru take a gander and suggest which one would be more suitable for brewing a porter. If if is doable I might be taking the drive to obtain water from that area for this project. As always thanks for the help from you folks here in the fourm. Cheers!

You don't need the profile for water in Pottsville, Pa. You need the profile for the water that goes into the mash tun at Yuengling. These could be quite different animals.

I understand that but I highly doubt that Yuengling is going to give that up so this is the next best thing. Either way it will still be in the ball park and just as they can manipulate and tweak it so can I. I just need to know what my options are.

Back