Carbonating and serving from a keg to a glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
I placed my beer in the keg fill it to 30 psi and disconnected the co2 regulator, moved it for two minutes to force carbonate, thenbplace it on the fridge and let it overnight. At morning connected regulator, carbonated at 30 psi and move again with regulator connected at 30 psi for 3 minutes. When I served at 10 psi I notice too much foam but whe you taste the beer, it doesnt have too much co2 in solution. What happened? How do I fix it?

You tried to force it, that's what happened! (IMNSHO....flame on you haters)

Dial your regulator down to @ 12 psi and leave it for 10-14 days while you drink something else.

The foam might be something other than your carb method. People have trouble with foam even with a perfect carbed beer. One method you can use is to set regulator @30 for 24 hours, don't shake and don't disconnect the regulator. Then shut off the valve to keg, depressurize the keg, turn your regulator to serving pressure and open the valve. The more time you let it set it should carb just fine. Say 4 or 5 day's.

The foam might be something other than your carb method. People have trouble with foam even with a perfect carbed beer. One method you can use is to set regulator @30 for 24 hours, don't shake and don't disconnect the regulator. Then shut off the valve to keg, depressurize the keg, turn your regulator to serving pressure and open the valve. The more time you let it set it should carb just fine. Say 4 or 5 day's.

I did this in my first kegged batch and I was not happy with the amount of carbonation in the mouth feel, much like the op described.

I did notice that over the period of 2 weeks that it took me to consume the keg, that the carbonation became better and better.

My conclusion, force carbing will do the trick, but it's not for me :D

I did this in my first kegged batch and I was not happy with the amount of carbonation in the mouth feel, much like the op described.

I did notice that over the period of 2 weeks that it took me to consume the keg, that the carbonation became better and better.

My conclusion, force carbing will do the trick, but it's not for me :D

The way I read the OP is that he hit it with 30 for a couple minutes and then left it disconnected overnight. No CO2. Then hit it again for a short time. I'm thinking less than 10 minutes total @ 30. I won't argue the set and forget is my favorite method but I was trying to point out that if you want to force it it takes longer than 10 minutes.:D and he might have two issues, the foam might be a separate issue.

The way I read the OP is that he hit it with 30 for a couple minutes and then left it disconnected overnight. No CO2. Then hit it again for a short time. I'm thinking less than 10 minutes total @ 30. I won't argue the set and forget is my favorite method but I was trying to point out that if you want to force it it takes longer than 10 minutes.:D and he might have two issues, the foam might be a separate issue.

Yup, I got that too. The way I did it though, was exactly the way you described.

Ok, I think im a little confused, I thought that when you connect keg to regulator at for example 30 psi, it means that hes only maintaining a 30 psi pressure, hes not inyecting unless by some reason co2 escapes. Thats why I thought that I could let it overnight at 30 psi without regulator connected. Am I wrong? Also, what should I do about the lack of CO2 on mouth feel but at the same time excessive foam?

I forgot to tell, to be able to get oxygen out when I keg, I purge inyecting through the outlet and opening the inlet for oxygen to get out. Could that be reaponsible for the excessive.foaming?

Ok, I think im a little confused, I thought that when you connect keg to regulator at for example 30 psi, it means that hes only maintaining a 30 psi pressure, hes not inyecting unless by some reason co2 escapes. Thats why I thought that I could let it overnight at 30 psi without regulator connected. Am I wrong? Also, what should I do about the lack of CO2 on mouth feel but at the same time excessive foam?

I forgot to tell, to be able to get oxygen out when I keg, I purge inyecting through the outlet and opening the inlet for oxygen to get out. Could that be reaponsible for the excessive.foaming?

If you have no leaks and you pressurize your keg to 30psi, the beer absorbs that small amount of CO2 rapidly as the keg equalizes between the higher pressure in the "head space" and beer. You need to maintain the 30psi for 24 hours, During that time the beer will continually be absorbing CO2.

The excess foam issue is another topic. That would be easier to troubleshoot once you have the carbonation issue settled.

Side question: What if you are using a regulator that is marked for CO2 but measures output by cfh (cubic feet per hour). Does this work the same way as a psi regulator and there is a just a conversion? or does this mean co2 will constantly release at a set rate for as long as the regulator is open?

Side question: What if you are using a regulator that is marked for CO2 but measures output by cfh (cubic feet per hour). Does this work the same way as a psi regulator and there is a just a conversion? or does this mean co2 will constantly release at a set rate for as long as the regulator is open?

Flow gauges are good for welders, not very useful for brewers. The cheap fix is to replace the flow gauge with a low pressure gauge...

Cheers!

I read that he was "moving" or shaking the keg while at 30 psi, which can easily result in very overcarbonated beer in only a few minutes if the shaking was vigorous.

Also, what should I do about the lack of CO2 on mouth feel but at the same time excessive foam?

The reason the beer tastes flat is because it's foaming. All of that foam is the result of the CO2 escaping from solution violently, which also results in flat beer. The CO2 coming out of solution could have a few causes, including lines that are too short, overcarbonated beer (which based on what I've read is a possibility), temperature stratification, etc.

Flow gauges are good for welders, not very useful for brewers. The cheap fix is to replace the flow gauge with a low pressure gauge...

Cheers!

This. Although even with a low pressure gauge, many flow regulators have a different diaphragm design that will allow the pressure to creep up slowly, so it may or may not convert into something functional for serving beer.

Back