Deer park water jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeBill

Reaction score
Would 5 gallon deer park water jugs work for a carboy? I'm curious because they say recyclable PET on the bottom. Thanks in advance

I bought two glass 5 gallon carboys from our water dist for 15 bucks each. I brew small batches and use them for secondary.

They're basically the same thing as a Better Bottle only smaller. I wouldn't try to ferment a full 5 gallons in one but they'll make beer just fine. I use the three gallon water jugs my grocery store sells for test batches all the time.

I have used plastic water jugs with a #2 from a large dept store with no ill effects. Don't think I'd trust them for long term aging or anything, but a few week clearing period seems to be fine.

Actually it's at a crime scene that I was processing, and I noticed the bottom. My parents have numerous empties lying around. I'll give one a try. Thank you

AwesomeBill said:
Actually it's at a crime scene that I was processing, and I noticed the bottom. My parents have numerous empties lying around. I'll give one a try. Thank you

this is hilarious! Let me get this strait, your out processing some crime at a house or whatever, body parts, shell casings, fingerprints and various what nots. And you see a carboy and think "can I use this for beer? "

Absolutely hilarious.

Haha well more like I was done dusting prints and was throwing out some trash and noticed the empty bottle. So while I was waiting for detectives I made the post. I will not be using this jug fyi

Back