bittering hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stecco

Reaction score
im working on a barleywine this weekend and i was wondering if theres an advantage to adding the bittering hops in intervals (similar to dogifish's method)? should I add 0.5 oz at 75, 60 and 45 min, or drop 1.5 oz altogether at 60?

im trying to get an american barleywine style flavor (citrus american flavor), but w/ less agressive bittering.

The difference will probably be subtle, but I the staggered addition will probably give you a very slight edge in the complexity of the bitterness and possibly just a touch more overall bitterness (although the IBU formulas will probably disagree).

ok, that sounds like a nice touch then. thanks for the input. i figured that im already spending a bit much on this batch, so i better make maximize the the potential from every ingredient.

i was worried that the extra effort of dividing out the hops and having a more detailed hop schedule may not be worth it.

Back