Just another clueless apfelwein noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoBoy

Reaction score
For my apfelwein, I followed EdWort's recipe religiously, with only a few minor alterations as follows: instead of the recommended five gallons of apple juice, I substituted one gallon apple juice and four gallons freshly pressed sweet vidalia onion juice because I ran into a screaming deal on the onions at the local Farmer's Market (I will not bore you with my true sob story of the ensuing nightmare of juicing the sweet onions, but only suggest that if you also want to attempt this approach, my experience indicates that you should consider an outdoor venue - live and learn); instead of Montrachet, I went with Fleischman's; rather than 2 lbs dextrose, I chose to use a quart of blackstrop molasses to provide that sulphorous fragrance. It's now thirty days in the Better Bottle, and though my SWMBO and much of the surrounding community seem to find the fragrance objectionable, I myself have been unable to verify this opinion ever since onion-pressing time. The color is truly hideous, and the clarity opaque. :D

Okay, charge me with a PUI (posting under the influence), my apfelwein does differ from Ed's recipe in that I used cane rather than corn. Thirty days in the primary, and am impatiently awaiting a taste in a couple weeks. Thanks to Ed and HBT for making it easy for us first-timers.

Woah, deja vu! I had a dream about onion cider from a farmer's market just before I really got into brewing. Creepy.:confused:

I'm also under the influence. I've also changed the recipe up a bit. I used 12oz (by weight) of brown sugar, made a 1 gallon batch, added 1/4 tsp tannin, 1/2 tsp acid blend, primed with AJ concentrate and just bottled at 3 weeks. I'll know how it turned out in a few months. However, the initial tasting was awesome, albeit yeasty.

Onion and molasses cider. Things that make you go hmmmm :drunk:

Just serve in a chilled glass garnished with a rose-cut radish for that little extra bite; three drops Tabasco optional. Yuh-uh-uhmmmm. :drunk:

Make sure on bottling day that you add 3 lbs of brown sugar to the batch. After that, you're gonna wanna strategically place these bottles around you place of employment. Then make sure your manifesto is up to date. Lastly, make sure to use the phrase "bottle bomb" every chance you get.

Make sure on bottling day that you add 3 lbs of brown sugar to the batch. After that, you're gonna wanna strategically place these bottles around you place of employment. Then make sure your manifesto is up to date. Lastly, make sure to use the phrase "bottle bomb" every chance you get.

With just the words and phrases you used in this post, I'd bet DHS has you bugged. Now that I've quoted you, and included their initials, I guess they have me, also. See you at Gitmo.

Ok, so...it sounds interesting but if it's not made of apples, it's not an apple wine.
Sounds like you have more of an interesting onion wine there.

I bet that would go well mixed with a Bloody Mary.

Dicky

Latest posts

Back