more mash tun questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
1. Is using pex instead of copper piping for the manifold ok? i mean its already used for water and is rated for up to 200 deg F. and is WAY easier than soldering

2. Is a 10 gallon cooler like the cylindrical drink dispenser ones too big for 5 gallon batches?

3. what about when i want to do 1 gallon batches all grain? what do i use then as a mash tun because i'd imagine even a 5 gal may be too small?

bagpiperjosh said:
1. Is using pex instead of copper piping for the manifold ok? i mean its already used for water and is rated for up to 200 deg F. and is WAY easier than soldering

2. Is a 10 gallon cooler like the cylindrical drink dispenser ones too big for 5 gallon batches?

3. what about when i want to do 1 gallon batches all grain? what do i use then as a mash tun because i'd imagine even a 5 gal may be too small?

1. Yes you can. Since it's usually in coils, make it round. Also, you don't need to solder copper or glue cpvc.
2. No. you can cut out an insulated circle to help with the heat loss in the dead space if necessary.
3. I do 1 g using BIAB in a small 3g stockpot. I do a quick sparge in a smaller stockpot, and squeeze out as much as I can from the bag.

for a one gallon batch I would suggest either a mini mash tun or doing a BIAB ar a mash in a bag in a small pot w/ a paint strainer bag...put the mash in a warm oven to maintain temp.

1. Yes you can. Since it's usually in coils, make it round. Also, you don't need to solder copper or glue cpvc.
2. No. you can cut out an insulated circle to help with the heat loss in the dead space if necessary.
3. I do 1 g using BIAB in a small 3g stockpot. I do a quick sparge in a smaller stockpot, and squeeze out as much as I can from the bag.

what do you make the insulated circle out of? i have not seen anything like that.

1) I'd think so. My family handyman magazine is all about using pex vs copper for everything, I'm sure it's fine.

2) My buddy uses a 10 gallon cooler from Home Depot for his 5 gallon batches, works fine. Remember that means you want 6.5 gallons of water for your run off, plus you've got grain, and all that water that gets absorbed in. I think it's fine.

3) I have no idea. I went from 5->10->15. 1 gallon batches? Does not compute! What if you love it? My feeling has been I've yet to make a batch that nobody likes and my time is worth a lot to me. So now I brew 10 or 15 gallon batches, takes the same time to brew 5 gallons. If I brew more then I need I can trade it with my buddies for their stuff and I've got other friends that are willing to cover the price of materials to get a few cases of homebrew. They will come over and help bottle, etc. to cover that time. Or heck, I just give some away. The only way I can see doing 1 gallon batches (or really for me 5 gallon batches) is if I want to try something nutty. Like a coconut beer or something wacky. Remember people BUY bud, think about that. People take money, give it to another person, and get bud, or another 'premium' light larger in return. No way could you brew a beer worse then that. Somebody would be happy to have your chocolate cake beer instead of that.

If you won't brew bigger batches for yourself, do it for the less fortunate. There are beer drinkers all over the world that need your support, even in your own country, or neighborhood. Can't you give a little to them? They need your help before they have another uneducated sip! Sally Struthers would agree... Wait, no she wouldn't... Well.. screw her!

bagpiperjosh said:
what do you make the insulated circle out of? i have not seen anything like that.

If it was necessary, and probably is not if you pre-heat and hit your temps, the pink foamular foam insulation board from home depot should work. It cuts much better than styrofoam with a knife or hot wire. I just filled my lids with expanding foam.

sniperd said:
3) I have no idea. I went from 5->10->15. 1 gallon batches? Does not compute! What if you love it?

it's great for crazy ideas like blueberry ipa. Less to fertilize the lawn with.
15 gallons of rhubarb rye might be hard to get rid of ;)

Latest posts

Back