Better than Apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, thanks for the post. I came to this area to ask if anyone had tryed different yeasts with this recipe! My first batch is still fermenting, I made 5 galls with Montrachet, and a 1 gal experiment with EC1118 champagne. Curious to see how it pans out. Next time I'll try the weisen.
Thanks again,
John

:mug:

How did this turn out? I plan to use ec-1118 for an apfelwein

Sorry to bump an old thread but I think this is the best place to ask.

I have a wheat beer with Wyeast 3068 in my fermenter that will be ready to come out next week. Can I pitch my apfelwein ingredients straight onto the cake immediately after bottling?

Could any of you provide any input into whether or not I should bottle this? I started it on 10/18/16, tested its SG at 1.000 on 11/5, so I moved it down to a cellar on 11/6, but I figured that wasn't cool enough so I moved it to a cooler where its been sitting at 40 degrees since then.

Attached are some pictures. I've searched through this thread, but am curious if your guys' 3068 apfelwein came out this cloudy.

IMG_20161202_145235558.jpg

IMG_20161202_145220275.jpg

Would like to try a 5 gallon batch of this with 3068. Looks like fun. We have been doing batches with Vintners Harvest CY17 yeast. Going to keg a 6 gallon batch we started 8 months ago.

This thread must be kick started. We just tried a Blackberry/lime cider made by Blue Mountain Cidery (about 6.3% ABV) in Oregon. It was very good. It would be good to try to reproduce it with Airtight's method with the 3068 yeast with nutrient. For a 6 gallon batch maybe try 1-1.5 gallons of blackberry juice, 32-64 fl oz lime juice and the balance apple juice. Any ideas or experiences with something like this?

A0CA4F68-CEE3-460C-BA6F-825A8573D600.jpeg
Started a batch last night (on the left) with hefe yeast and a half gallon pineapple juice. Hoping to get some pineapple and banana flavors on top of the apple. Can’t wait to keg and carb

Last edited:
To make excellent blackberry cider I suggest the following simple method I have personally used..

Make a 5 gallon batch of dry base cider using nothing but juice, when its done fermenting keg it and then

add just two 12 oz cans of Original Sin Black Widow - this will perfectly flavor, color and back-sweeten your batch to a well balanced, "fruit is there but doesn't dominate" cider.

+1 bembel

With the exception I add 3-4 Pounds fresh frozen blackberries to secondary for 5 days. Rack, cold crash to clarify and keg. Turns out amazing every time.

Going back to the opening post I wonder whether you can harvest Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast from a bottle of Weihestenphan Weizen beer. I am asking because the Weihenstephan Weizen is readily available in the shops here.

Back