Keg beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
I had a sample of my newly kegged IPA.
and realized now that there is still beer left sitting in the beer line.
How can I clean it out, I can not remove line from the frat style tap or the keg connection they are on quite secure.
But the beer wont be ready for a while now and I dont want to line to gunk up

as long as the lines are cooled, which im assuming they are because picnic taps are traditionally stored in the fridge everything will be fine.

but just to be safe draw off a sample every few days. you know, to purge the lines or something :mug:

So, is this a Cornelius 5 gallon keg? If so just pop it off the steel post at the ball lock.
If your beer isn't going to be carbonated for a while, now is a good time to learn how to dismantle the whole line. Soak in star san, iodine, or your choice of sanitizer, air dry and put back together.

Is this what you got going on?

Screen shot 2011-12-01 at 5.28.20 PM.jpg

Get yourself some pliers and flat screwdriver, and take it all apart, might as well learn now...I do it every time I keg a beer. Here is some youtube tutorials:
cleaning corny keg - YouTube

be sure and unscrew the picnic tap top, and pop off the semi opaque inner part, that is where alot of sediment and beer tends to collect.

The way we deal with this is between each keg I fill up a 3 gallon keg with hot water and BLC. (beer line cleaner.) I run the whole three gallons through each tap. I then wash out the 3 gallon keg and fill it with star San. Hook up my C02 to that one and rise the BLC with star San. The whole process takes about 30 min, but it's defiantly worth it. One of my main pet peeves is going to a restaurant and ordering my favorite draft only to learn that the lines are infected.

Back