How long will my hops last in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
I know its been discussed, but I had a hard time searching for hop storage with "hop" not being a search-able term. Anyway, I bought 8 oz. each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Chinook pellets about 5 months ago, and due to some circumstances out of my control have not used them as quickly as I hoped, and have about 6 oz. of each left. I've had them in the freezer the whole time, so I know they are supposed to be alright in theory, but I was wondering if anyone has some first hand experience dealing with long term freezer storage. Any adverse effects? If so, has anyone run into needing to upping their amounts in a recipe? Any opinions/experiences greatly appreciated, thanks.

Many hops will last 6-8 months at room temperature. In a freezer, several years. I normally buy hops once a year, just after the harvest and freeze them.

I have some Columbus pellets that are almost two years old & they still pack a punch.

I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...

Raffie said:
I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...
Yup...this is what I do. I have about a dozen different leaf hops, the bulk of which are Cascade as I love to dryhop with it.

Dan

david_42 said:
Many hops will last 6-8 months at room temperature. In a freezer, several years. I normally buy hops once a year, just after the harvest and freeze them.

I have some Columbus pellets that are almost two years old & they still pack a punch.

David that's a really good idea. What time I'm assuming in the fall is just after the harvest and who do you think is good to buy from?

Raffie said:
I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...[/quote

this is the best way (and the way I do it) as it prevents oxygen from reacting with the hops to deteroite (sp) them.
Another way i have seen is to put them into 2 litre PET bottles and purge with CO2 and freeze them.

I get them from Dave Wills at freshops, but if you are buying pounds, hopsdirect might be a little better. Dave will post when he has the new harvest in. He has his own farm and buys other hops from the locals.

I am planning on buying at the end of the harvest as well and stock up for the year..that's the only way to do it.

Dan

Raffie said:

Belive it or not, this is what most HBSs do. Except we use those silver bags that computer parts come in, since they are oxygen impermeable. Yes, we use NEW bags!

steve

Thanks for all the great advice. So far I've been using a eurosealer to reseal the oxygen barrier bags they came in and then putting that in a freezer bag just in case. Sounds like I'll be ok for awhile. Thanks again.

So how long have people actually kept hops in the freezer and still used them with success? I have a pliny pack that is probably going on about 5 years, vacuum sealed and in the freezer.....do I dare?

So how long have people actually kept hops in the freezer and still used them with success? I have a pliny pack that is probably going on about 5 years, vacuum sealed and in the freezer.....do I dare?

I just used some hops from 2007 a couple of months ago. They were frozen at 0 degrees, and vacuum sealed from the day I got them in 2007. I did open them and smell them and made sure they smelled great, and since they did I used them with the same results I always get. Oh, they were pellet hops, and still quite green with no brown spots at all.

I have pellet hops in my freezer that are 3-5 years old. I keep all of my hops in either vacuum sealed bags or vacuum sealed mason jars - both with silica gel oxy absorber packs inside. I buy bulk lbs from hops direct, niko brew, hop shack, etc.

I wont say that the 5 year old hops are quite as bright as they were when I first purchased them, but they are pretty close. The only two hops that I have noticed a difference in quality over long term storage are Simcoe and Citra - they both dulled out a bit.

I just used some hops from 2007 a couple of months ago. They were frozen at 0 degrees, and vacuum sealed from the day I got them in 2007. I did open them and smell them and made sure they smelled great, and since they did I used them with the same results I always get. Oh, they were pellet hops, and still quite green with no brown spots at all.

:eek: 7 years, that's awesome. Will make the money I'm about to spend on a vacuum sealer much easier, thanks.

Back