Frozen Yeast without Glycerin???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
Is it ok to freeze yeast without glycerin? I got a lil over anxious with my last batch after reading a few articles on washing yeast. I poured the yeast cake into a few jars and stuck it in the freezer. Did I ruin this batch? Or is it still salvageable and how can I tell? just make a starter for it???

There will probably be some viable yeast in it but the big problem with our consumer freezers is that they are frost free. This means that they are constantly going though freeze/thaw cycles. When this happens your yeast cells are slowly bursting and dying on every cycle. The more cycles the less viable yeast you'll have.

Get them buggers thawed and make a starter. Good enough reason to make more beer!

Jason

As I understand it the ice crystals will puncture the cell walls of the yeast and kill them. The glycerin helps prevent that from happening. Think of it as like a cryogenic preservation... and freezing is just freezing.

Most of your yeast is toast. Like 90% or more are dead. Keep them in the fridge next time. Washed yeast stored in the fridge is good for at least a couple of months.

Back