Ipa thin / watery tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
For my second brew ever I did a coopers IPA extract. OG hit was 1.050. I left it alone in the primary for 4 weeks and opened it last night to get a fg reading. SG 1.010. I think I may have added a little too much make up water when pouring it into the primary because it tastes very watered down and not like an IPA at all. Almost like a watery hefe. Is there anything I can add or do, or should I just bottle it and hope it turns out better?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Bottle it. Carbonation will add some mouth feel. Some time in the bottles and it will taste much better.

Watery is usually just the lack of carbonation and conditioning, co2 does a lot to mouthfeel. If you are going to sample an uncompleted beer (one that you haven't seen through the entire process) then you really can't/shouldn't worry about how something tastes or smells...because the beer's not finished. It's a long journey the beer goes through from grain to glass, and it's gonna spend most of it, NOT tasting like how we want it to.

Relax.

Back