Tubing for Blowoff Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitrael

Reaction score
Headed to the hardware store sometime soon to get some more hoses before brewing.

What diameter of hose should I get for use as a blowoff hose with a standard 5 gallon glass carboy? The idea was that it would stick down into the carboy and be airtight. I also have a rubber bung with a grommet (for use with airlock) but it's a pretty small hole.

Am I doing this wrong?

Also first noob question and in b4 RDWHAHB.

Most people say 1" OD tubing but I had some 1 1/4" OD that worked just fine with a snug fit. Regular old vinyl tubing. Some people use a smaller diameter tubing (~1/2" ?) and connect it to the tube inside a 3 piece airlock. I personally like using the big tube stuck in the neck of the carboy method myself.....less to clean.

Jason

Standard 5 gallon glass carboy you need 1" inside diameter and 1&1/4 outside diameter....about 4 ft. It helps to warm up the end to make it more plyable when inserting the tube. Make sure you have a good size pail with sanitized water (bleach & water) for the other end. IF you get good fermentation you can have quite a bit of blow off.

Back