Vented silicone dry airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpale

Reaction score
I just ordered one of these from Northern Brewer with my next batch of ingredients - it's a vented silicone stopper (dry airlock?) and I'm hoping to use this for the first few hours after pitching while the wort temp is equalizing to prevent the suckback I frequently get with a three piece airlock. Has anyone use dthese before and is this the proper application for something like this?

I'm thinking once the temp has stabilized I'll replace the silicone stopper with either a blowoff tube or a regular three piece before fermentation really kicks off.

Seems logical - but It's new to me and was wondering if anyone has done this.

Alright, either no one's used one of these (which has me worried it may not be a great idea) ....or this was a real stupid question (the more probable case).

OK, it's a stupid question - I'm drinking a hb - my head will clear in a bit and I'll rethink :)

redpale said:
I'm thinking once the temp has stabilized I'll replace the silicone stopper with either a blowoff tube or a regular three piece before fermentation really kicks off.

Seems logical - but It's new to me and was wondering if anyone has done this.

I have one that I'm using for a cider, but I didn't use it for the primary fermentation. It holds a lot of pressure before it vents itself. It really surprised me when I lifted the little flap up.

Anyway, why not use the blowoff tube to begin with? I don't think any amount of temperature changes will cause any suckback a foot up a 1"id hose. I always start with a blowoff hose.

Your idea should work, but I think that I'd forget to switch to the blowoff tube and end up with an explosion.

-S

lustreking said:
Anyway, why not use the blowoff tube to begin with? I don't think any amount of temperature changes will cause any suckback a foot up a 1"id hose. I always start with a blowoff hose.

If I'm doing something where I anticipate a blowoff I probably would - but in the few batches I've made so far blowoffs have been a problem twice - and those I think are because I left the pellet hop sludge in the wort. Most of my beers are pretty, um "well behaved" and these are where I'd think I'd use it most.

I'm glad to hear that you've used it though, it makes me a little more confident to try it- thnx!

Back