wax over caps/bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseballstar4

Reaction score
I recently brewed a bourbon RIS that I am panning on bottle aging for a year. I have read things about sealing the caps with wax or parrafin to prevent any oxygen from entering the bottles. Has anyone used this method with luck? And, how easy is the wax removed to re-use the bottles again?

Thanks

I have tried a couple ( I believe 3 ) experiments with the glue sticks and crayons... I still have not achieved the proper ratio to make them come off easily just yet or from falling apart while taking them off.

Some brew websites have small beads of colored wax that you can melt down so you can cover your bottles.
http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-bottle-wax.php

there is a link the second product down is what I am talking about

I was listening to a Brew Strong podcast, in which Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer talked about wax. It was in the series about bottling/kegging of podcasts they did some time in 2009 (I think). They mentioned that not much is available about the oxygen permeability of wax.

It seems like a lot of work unless you know it actually provides a benefit. I'm not saying don't do it, but I'm saying the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

What about the rubber "dip" that is used on tool handles? Granted it would have to be cut off at a later date but it seems like it would be pretty easy?

Back