My lager freezer had the temp controller turned up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
I think that someone messed with the temp controller today cause the interior was still about 65 degrees F up from 45 degrees F. The wort/beer was at 75 degrees F. As of Sunday (7 days after I pitched) it was about 50% fermented and I know for sure that the temp was correct then. It's now about 65 to 70% fermented and that airlock is just bubbling away. I dropped the temp controller back down to 45 degrees F. I was planning on doing a diacetyl rest at around 80 to 85% per Palmers guidelines for about 24 to 48 hours before I cold-crashed and lagered at 31 degrees F.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should expect from here? Any action I should take to prevent off flavors, if any? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

:tank:

Yea, a little soon for a D-rest, I think you're fine, I would definately do a D-rest when you get close at about 55 - 60F due to the swinging higher temp's, I'd wager you got some diacetyl there. after that proceed as normal with your lagering sir, you might want to lock up that controller though:D

Back