Extended Primary vs. Extended bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
This has probably been covered in great detail before but I will ask anyway.

I know that More Time = Better beer, but I would still like the have my latest batch in a glass within 6 weeks. Am I better off doing a shorter primary and extended bottle conditioning or vice-verse.

For example: 1 week in primary, 5 in bottles
Or maybe 2/4, 3/3, 4/2, 5/1?

Anyone wish to comment based on their own experiences and experiments?

It all depends on how well you have your brewing technique down and the style of beer. 1 week in primary probably isn't enough though unless you've been brewing the same beer forever and harvesting yeast so they are in tune with your brew. I'd say 2-3 weeks in the primary for an average beer and 3 weeks in the bottle. You don't want to take it off of the yeast too early...the yeast are still working after the bubbling stops. Even experienced homebrewers are leaving it in the primary for 2-3 weeks just so the yeast can clean up some of the off flavors.

I'm still a noob, but everything I'm reading, end the experience I've had so far tell me I need at least 3 weeks in the bottle for proper carbonation. I also keep my beers in the primary for at least 3 weeks. So 6 weeks from brew day has been the bare minimum.

Even so, my APA was still green at 6 weeks and didn't lose a weird "after taste" until 5 weeks in the bottle, 8 weeks from brew day.

The other day I read somewhere on these boards about the rule of 3. 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottle, 3 days in the fridge before pouring your first glass to try your creation.

I have been giving some additional thought to this topic as well. We all know the HBT rule of thumb is a 3-week primary, the argument being that "the yeast go back and clean up after themselves." I get that. BUT, then you go read stuff from Jamil and others that bottle after fermentation is complete (7-10 days).

I have been thinking that I would shorten my primary time and increase my conditioning time.

I would love to hear arguments for either method that are a bit more specific than "the yeast cleans up after itself."

Thanks

I have been giving some additional thought to this topic as well. We all know the HBT rule of thumb is a 3-week primary, the argument being that "the yeast go back and clean up after themselves." I get that. BUT, then you go read stuff from Jamil and others that bottle after fermentation is complete (7-10 days).

I have been thinking that I would shorten my primary time and increase my conditioning time.

I would love to hear arguments for either method that are a bit more specific than "the yeast cleans up after itself."

Thanks

the time needed for fermentation to be completed is dependent on pitching rates of the yeast. If you pitched and re-hydrate if using dry yeast the recommended amount then it will take about a week to complete fermentation, were talking about average gravity beers here. What is conditioning, is it yeast cleanup or maturation. For maturation it depends on how complex the grain bill is and how much hops you used. For yeast cleanup about couple of days is good again average gravity beer and recommended pitching rates.

This time around I did not rehydrate and there is quite a bit of activity already. That said I may just do the 3/3 and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice

I personally would want to let most of the stuff flocc out before bottling, that way you don't end up with a lot of unneccessary in your bottle. I still say 3-4 weeks in primary...

Every ferment is different but most ales I do are done in 7-14 days. I think the key factor in deciding when its done and it's time to move the beer out of the primary and into bottles is when the yeast has flocculated. Once the yeast have flocculated I don't think there is anything to gain from leaving it in the fermenter. I just watch the yeast and they tell me when they are done.

3 weeks is usually a good enough period of time in the bottles for carbing. You may want to wait longer with some stronger beers to give them some extra time for the higher alcohol flavors to mellow.

3 week primary. more time on the yeast cake lets possible off flavors from a 'less than pristine' fermentation get cleaned up (diacetyl, etc), and gets you clearer beer.

still leaves 3 weeks in the bottle to carb.

It really depends on more than just a hard and fast rule, too. What kind of beer? What kind of yeast? What have you done in the past that was successful? Everyone will have different answers and they're not all rules. If it were me and I felt like it HAD to be a 6 week timeline, I'd split it 2.5/3.5 or 3/3. Again, it would depend on if it were a blonde or a IIPA.

Back