For the Louisville and Southern Indiana Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop a line and let my fellow HBTs in the Kentuckiana region to stay away from Liquor Barn in regards to any homebrewing supplies...I was to brew a Cal Common the other day and my LHBS was out of the 2112 Cal Lager Yeast, so I ran over to Liquor Barn to see if they had any, well it turned out that they did. Unfortunatley I also noticed that there were numerous "Smack Packs" that were already swelled and the area was very unorganized, i dug through what was left and found one that was not smacked already and purchased it...I took it home, smacked it, brewed, cooled and went to pitch only to realize my pack had not swelled and also noticed that the date on it was from Feb 2009...Man was I heated and sent them a nasty gram...I ended up pitching my last tube of WL Cal Ale w/ no starter...I understand that they arent in the homebrew business and that they have a very nice selection of libations, but I will never go into any of the stores again...Just a word of advice to all...Thanks for my rant...:mad:

Which store and exactly when did you go? There has been a switchover to new ownership with all the stores, so things have been kind of crazy as far as stock goes, as in not being able to order things. I can't speak for that store, but I work at one in Lexington and me and the other homebrew guy keep it top notch, stocked with everything we have, looking great. Our yeasts are never more than a few months old. The other store here in Lex is also great with homebrew stuff. Maybe that store needs someone to run the homebrew department, because what you described sounds pretty sad.

Also, which LHBS did you go to? My Old Kentucky Homebrew on Story Avenue is great. There is also Beer and Wine Supplies or something off Westport Road, but their prices are real high on everything.

I went to the Town Center location...I went in to the store this evening to talk about my issues with the manager and he was very gracious...He replaced my yeast with no questions asked...Very nice guy...And I do frequent My Old Kentucky Homebrew very regularly, Paul is a great guy with a ton of knowledge and very diverse selection of items...He just didnt have the Wyeast 2112 as I needed...

Where are people getting their ingredients from around here? My old kentucky homebrew seemed pretty nice the few times Ive been there.

jcorn said:
Where are people getting their ingredients from around here? My old kentucky homebrew seemed pretty nice the few times Ive been there.

Wine and Weer Makers Supply on Westport Road is an EXCELLENT place to go. They are around the corner from the Kroger at Westport and Hurstborne.

They are well stocked with what ever you are looking for, be that stuff, ingredients or know how. The older woman who owns the place knows everything there is to know and is a hoot to talk to. I have seen brewers come in thinking they need something expensive, and with her guidance leave with more knowledge and less expense than they thought possible.

It is also fun to go in there with an idea for a beer. If you can describe what you want it to taste like she can set you up with a custom recipe. Even as an experienced brewer I find this fun and I usually benefit from her creative perspective.

http://www.winebeersupply.com/

Wine and Beer Makers supply is an EXCELLENT place to go. They are well stocked with stuff and know how.

The older woman who owns the place knows everything there is to know and is hoot to talk to. I have seen her gracefully guide novice customers to better less expensive solutions many times.

I enjoy going in there with a beer concept and then letting her select the ingredients. Even as an experienced brewer I usually benefit from her creative perspective.

http://www.winebeersupply.com/

They are at the corner of Hurstborne and Westport next to the Kroger

Back