Original Gravity????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromedome

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me, approx, what the OG might be for 18 Qts wal-mart apple juice (OG 1.050) + 5 Cups white sugar? I broke my hydometer right before i was going to test it. Thanks.

I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me, approx, what the OG might be for 18 Qts wal-mart apple juice (OG 1.050) + 5 Cups white sugar? I broke my hydometer right before i was going to test it. Thanks.

Is five cups of sugar about 2 pounds? If you know about how many pounds you used, I can figure it out for you.

I just weighed 5 cups at 2.25 lbs. Where are you in the U.P.? I'm down here in Houghton Lake. Thanks, Jon

I just weighed 5 cups at 2.25 lbs. Where are you in the U.P.? I'm down here in Houghton Lake. Thanks, Jon

I'm in the central UP- along the WI border. It's pretty cold and rainy here, but hopefully spring will come soon.

OK, 1 pounds of sugar would give you 46 points in a gallon. You used 2.25 pounds in 4.5 gallons (I assume), so I calculate that out to 1.023 + 1.050 (the juice) for an OG of 1.073 for 4.5 gallons.

Back