Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I'm happy to have found this thread. I wasn't sure how active the Japan home brewing community would be given the local rules on brewing...

I've just done my first brew day and my brown ale is 2 days into its fermentation cycle. I'm already dreaming of giving up my salaryman life and becoming the next Baird/Brimmer/etc.

I can see I've got a lot of background reading to catch up on, and will save any questions I have for after I've worked my way through the 900 odd posts.

For now, I just wanted to say yoroshiku!

Welcome aboard.

Hi. I'm happy to have found this thread. I wasn't sure how active the Japan home brewing community would be given the local rules on brewing...

I've just done my first brew day and my brown ale is 2 days into its fermentation cycle. I'm already dreaming of giving up my salaryman life and becoming the next Baird/Brimmer/etc.

I can see I've got a lot of background reading to catch up on, and will save any questions I have for after I've worked my way through the 900 odd posts.

For now, I just wanted to say yoroshiku!

If you havent joined it yet, the Tokyo (and to a lesser extent, kansai and Okinawa) homebrewer's group on Facebook gets a lot more action than this thread. Posts here kinda come in waves. Some good info here and easier to search for sure though.

What's the Tokyo one called? (And for lordpx, the Kansai one is called kinki homebrewers)

Thanks! I swore off Facebook some months ago, but this might lure me back. I'm interested to tap into the local community and learn what I can.

I couldn't find a group called Tokyo Homebrewers, is it under a different name or in Japanese?

Got my temporary password for the Wancup2. Entering a Amarillo Pale Ale. It's my best brew yet, which is not saying much. Had a couple of failures due to not knowing anything. First beer I made here was a Pilsner got the kit from Sakeland. It was the middle of July hot as hades.
Didn't know anything about fermentation temps used regular sugar ( according to the man at Sakeland). Looked really good with a nice head but it tasted terrible. Had to dump it. Wish I knew about this site could have gotten some good advice. Sounds like a lot of experiecnced Home Brewers here! Only been on the site for a short time but thanks for all the advice and encouragement so far.

Got my temporary password for the Wancup2. Entering a Amarillo Pale Ale. It's my best brew yet, which is not saying much. Had a couple of failures due to not knowing anything. First beer I made here was a Pilsner got the kit from Sakeland. It was the middle of July hot as hades.
Didn't know anything about fermentation temps used regular sugar ( according to the man at Sakeland). Looked really good with a nice head but it tasted terrible. Had to dump it. Wish I knew about this site could have gotten some good advice. Sounds like a lot of experiecnced Home Brewers here! Only been on the site for a short time but thanks for all the advice and encouragement so far.

Same experience here on my second can batch. Pilsner with attached pseudo lager yeast. One or two kilos of sugar (can't remember, don't want to). My first experience dumping a bottled batch. After a few more batches, I did my first partial mash. The aroma of grain in the water got me motivated towards all grain very quickly.

Hey all, wanted to introduce myself. Name is Matthew and I live on Shikoku (any other Shikoku based home brewers out there?) and am about to get into all grain brewing after quite a few kit beers that I did several years ago out here. I've gone through quite a few of the posts on this thread, learned a bunch and hope to learn more.

Have any of you out there had brewing equipment (either from the US or Europe) sent to Japan? I'm thinking of having an electric all grain system (braumeister or grainfather) and a conical fermentor sent and was wondering if customs would cause a stink?

Thanks!

Hey all, wanted to introduce myself. Name is Matthew and I live on Shikoku (any other Shikoku based home brewers out there?) and am about to get into all grain brewing after quite a few kit beers that I did several years ago out here. I've gone through quite a few of the posts on this thread, learned a bunch and hope to learn more.

Have any of you out there had brewing equipment (either from the US or Europe) sent to Japan? I'm thinking of having an electric all grain system (braumeister or grainfather) and a conical fermentor sent and was wondering if customs would cause a stink?

Thanks!

Customs won't be a problem, but 100 volts Japan vs 115 US knocks back the wattage by a bit. I brew electric and a 5 gallon system on 100 volts could be a really really slow, if not impossible. If you go 200 (240) not as much a problem. I use a 240v 4500 watt element and the voltage here knocks it back to 3125 which gives me a healthy boil for a 5 g batch. I have an experimental kettle for half batches. It's a 115v 2000 watt element and takes a looong time to get 4 gallons up to temp and boil. You might want to do some research. And maybe check on voltage boosters too. But you'll need one which can do 20 amps, and that would be some bucks. My suggestion: Buy a controller box and parts from Steven at brausupply and source the SS kettle here. (Or, wait just a little bit. I'm trying to open a homebrew store here. I'm talking with the NZ
company that supplies Mangrove Jack yeast and the Grainfather. I may be able to get you one for a good price as a Japan "test.")

Customs won't be a problem, but 100 volts Japan vs 115 US knocks back the wattage by a bit. I brew electric and a 5 gallon system on 100 volts could be a really really slow, if not impossible. If you go 200 (240) not as much a problem. I use a 240v 4500 watt element and the voltage here knocks it back to 3125 which gives me a healthy boil for a 5 g batch. I have an experimental kettle for half batches. It's a 115v 2000 watt element and takes a looong time to get 4 gallons up to temp and boil. You might want to do some research. And maybe check on voltage boosters too. But you'll need one which can do 20 amps, and that would be some bucks. My suggestion: Buy a controller box and parts from Steven at brausupply and source the SS kettle here. (Or, wait just a little bit. I'm trying to open a homebrew store here. I'm talking with the NZ
company that supplies Mangrove Jack yeast and the Grainfather. I may be able to get you one for a good price as a Japan "test.")

I would love to be a guinea pig with a Japanese grainfather! I was hoping to get my rig up in about a month or so, but could be persuaded to wait a bit. If I purchased the 240V version (NZ/Aussie), I'm guessing I would need a step up/step down transformer? Is that how you reached 240V (200V)? Not sure the wife would let me rewire the building :)

If I went the 120V route, I'm guessing an immersion heater for the boil would work?

I would love to be a guinea pig with a Japanese grainfather! I was hoping to get my rig up in about a month or so, but could be persuaded to wait a bit. If I purchased the 240V version (NZ/Aussie), I'm guessing I would need a step up/step down transformer? Is that how you reached 240V (200V)? Not sure the wife would let me rewire the building :)

If I went the 120V route, I'm guessing an immersion heater for the boil would work?

I don't use a transformer on my main unit. In fact, I'm working on dialing it down. The boil is a bit aggressive, especially in summer! I'm guessing (guessing, mind you) that the 240 version would have enough umph (that's a professional electrician term) not to need a transformer, but one would need to know the original wattage of the element first. If you're in a house, and it's fairly new, chances are good you already have 200 service. It really would not be too expensive to have a dedicated breaker and line patched in. And, seriously, the cost per batch with electrical is far less than propane. I'll get up with the Mangrove folks this week and feel them out. I need to get a web page up first to show I'm for "real" first. I'll keep ya posted.

I don't use a transformer on my main unit. In fact, I'm working on dialing it down. The boil is a bit aggressive, especially in summer! I'm guessing (guessing, mind you) that the 240 version would have enough umph (that's a professional electrician term) not to need a transformer, but one would need to know the original wattage of the element first. If you're in a house, and it's fairly new, chances are good you already have 200 service. It really would not be too expensive to have a dedicated breaker and line patched in. And, seriously, the cost per batch with electrical is far less than propane. I'll get up with the Mangrove folks this week and feel them out. I need to get a web page up first to show I'm for "real" first. I'll keep ya posted.

Yeah, please do. I've got an electrician friend, well shiriai, that I'm going to ask about cost/practicality of having a breaker put in. I'm not in a house, the wife and I own a medium sized guesthouse (where we also live) with quite a few large A/C and the like so there must be 200 somewhere.

Thanks again,
Matt

Bluefrog,
I'll probably put up the results in a week or two, after most of the responding community finishes.

Comming upon a month now.
What responses did you get?

The insight you could bring might help others with well, overactive imaginations,
if not actually similiar dreams.

Comming upon a month now.
What responses did you get?

The insight you could bring might help others with well, overactive imaginations if not actually similiar dreams.

Well, I hope you're not planning on opening a homebrew supply store!. :)

I'm still getting some in, but it's clear that most who replied are all grain brewers who brew about a batch a month. Most are not satisfied with the current choice of suppliers, citing a lack of variety of products a main concern. It doesn't look like it will be much of a goldmine as a business for me, especially at the beginning, but it may grow enough to fill in the gaps.

Anyway, it's given me enough data to roll forward slowly. I'm shooting for an opening in a couple of months. I just about have my space remodeled for shelves, fridges, etc. Now I need to get my wholesalers lined up.

Watch this space....

Well, I hope you're not planning on opening a homebrew supply store!. :)

Ha Ha! Wouldn't that be nice! :tank:

No interest in competition though, just in keeping your prices down
so I can buy my chit from you... (1 Pun in 10 did) !

But then again, it might be fun to try one's hand at it as a speciality (single item) or as a limited scope partenership venture.

Your questionaire was detailed and long;
I was actually wanting to see the responses themselves.

Some unanswered questions from earlier:
You mentioned liquid yeast...
What are your ideas?
Wyeast, White Labs or other?
Which specfic vareties?

Imported or locally (here or in in Asia) produced ?

What sector of a homebrewstore do you think is most difficult/demanding?
(Malt, Hops, Yeast)

Are you thinking about trying to carry everything, or specializing in a few areas?

Anyhow, Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of risk.
If you go for it, good luck!

Brew Long & Prosper!

"Your questionaire was detailed and long;
I was actually wanting to see the responses themselves."

No real big surprises, actually. Just confirmed what I expected. "We need more hops variety. I want liquid yeast. Ship stuff out quickly."

"Liquid yeast"
I'm hoping to get this nailed down soon. White Labs has a warehouse in Asia for supplying breweries with their yeast. They have not yet really moved into sending their consumer packages over, I would likely be the first, so it's taking some time. My plan is to do it on an pre-order. I hope to send out orders every month. Stocking would likely be a losing situation, although likely I could have some of the popular ones on hand.

I am also in talks with Mangrove Jack's for their dry yeast.

"What sector of a homebrewstore do you think is most difficult/demanding?
(Malt, Hops, Yeast)"

All of it right now. The main takeaway I get from others' advice on doing a home brew supply store is the cost of freight, getting goods to the store. That is doubly so here in Japan. Ask me in six months, though! haha

"Are you thinking about trying to carry everything, or specializing in a few areas?"

Ingredients to begin with. I'll grow the gear/hardware section later on in the year, I think. However, I will also be hooked up with Morebeer, so anything special on their site could be purchased through me and I'll get it shipped over with the regular inventory shipments.

"Anyhow, Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of risk.
If you go for it, good luck!"

Thanks. It's a lot more to it than one would think. For example, just to think about getting hops here in bulk, I've had to research about mylar bags, sealing systems, oxygen absorbers (I needed to search all the survival sites, yikes, what a crowd), etc etc, to break the hops into smaller units for selling.

But I need a challenge right now, so here I go!

Brew Long & Prosper![/QUOTE]

...just to think about getting hops here in bulk, I've had to research about mylar bags, sealing systems, oxygen absorbers (I needed to search all the survival sites, yikes, what a crowd), etc etc, to break the hops into smaller units for selling.

Damm man, you should have asked... I did that 1~4 years ago; I already have the mylar bags and decided on the O2 absorbers... (difficult for a few reasons that you may have figured out by now) and yes those survivalists are crazy serious!

I know WL is here, but sort of think the time isn't right for such a move...

I think the laws here need "one more revolution, one more turn of the wheel" (to borrow a line from patti re Vietnam) before getting in too deep with homebrewers.

I don't know. Maybe there is a beter solution to the yeast problem.
I like it that you might bring the MJ stuff here as I had not paid any attention to it before.

Always nice to learn new tricks.

Where is your store at? Im on the base at Yokosuka and brew regularly. I'm just getting my home set up so it will be a few weeks before I get to brew again. I know I can get supplies fairly easily through the mail but would prefer brick and mortar. Even if it means a short train ride or two.

Where is your store at? Im on the base at Yokosuka and brew regularly. I'm just getting my home set up so it will be a few weeks before I get to brew again. I know I can get supplies fairly easily through the mail but would prefer brick and mortar. Even if it means a short train ride or two.

I'm in Shiga-ken, just outside of Kyoto. Definitely not a short ride for you, unless you're down to Kyoto for business. I'm shooting for a late April, early May opening. And for right now, it will be online only, but the web site will be bi-lingual. I'm slightly leery of going B&M as the only B&M store (in Kobe) was shut down by the authorities. They seem to let online alone.

But I do have a few grains, hop varieties, and some yeast on hand I can share to help you started. Send me a PM if you want a quick list.

I am looking for a small size kegging solution...
I want it to hold somewhere between 5~13 L. or so
and be compatible with local fittings etc..

Maybe a 5~10L Cornelius... ?

Suggestions?
Anyone kegging with this size equipment?
Any sources for the budget impaird?

Pass it Forward anyone?

Fellow Yokosuka brewer here!

There are always those sized kegs on yahoo auctions. Usually Sapporo, Kirin or Asahi kegs.

What about Cornelius kegs?

I'm still exceedingly unfamiliar with kegs and not sure about making the plunge, but think I want cornelius kegs... any pros or thoughts

What about Cornelius kegs?

I'm still exceedingly unfamiliar with kegs and not sure about making the plunge, but think I want cornelius kegs... any pros or thoughts

Im using 5 gallon Cornelius kegs and love them. If you go that route make sure you get ball lock, not pin lock style.

ok, but why not pin locks?

What is the smallest size available here?
9L.?
11.3L.?

Ball lock kegs are the newer style and thus will be supported longer. I personally like ball lock too because they are more secure. Pin lock style twist on to lock so if you twist back, they can come off. Also, ball lock use a standard socket too remove the stem and also have a pressure relief valve on the lid as where pin lock style need a special tool and most don't have a relief valve built in.

I'm not sure here in Japan but 9 liter kegs are probably the smallest you can find stateside.

Ok. Thanks.

I've think I've read something about Cornelius kegs being a thing of the past...
are they still being used here for soda machines?

Ok. Thanks.

I've think I've read something about Cornelius kegs being a thing of the past...
are they still being used here for soda machines?

I think that Coca Cola is still using them. I recall seeing some hooked up several years ago. Also, they used to be the kegs used in chuu-hai servers. If you know a liquor store or a distributor, they might have some around. But they won't have a pressure relief on the lid. You can work around that or buy new lids from China.

Ball lock kegs are the newer style and thus will be supported longer. I personally like ball lock too because they are more secure. Pin lock style twist on to lock so if you twist back, they can come off. Also, ball lock use a standard socket too remove the stem and also have a pressure relief valve on the lid as where pin lock style need a special tool and most don't have a relief valve built in.

I'm not sure here in Japan but 9 liter kegs are probably the smallest you can find stateside.

Not really true. Coke was the user of pin locks and Pepsi and others used ball locks. Pin locks are cheap cheap cheap, but are shorter and fatter than ball locks. Also, all of the Japanese market ball locks are converted pin lock kegs (read: stubby). If you can get your hands on some pin locks for cheap, there is no reason not to use them. But being as youre looking for smaller ones. They tend to be only ball lock (unless you can find some used Calpis/Coke kegs, 10L pin lock here). If you find some after you already have a ball lock setup, they can be easily converted with universal ball lock posts and a relief valve lid from Ali-Express.
If you want to use local fittings, go for Asahi/Sapporo kegs as they use the more common Sanke connector. Kirin uses some propritary sanke. Smallest of those you can find is 5L. 9L, 12L and 15L are also available and often cheap cheap on Yahoo Auction (though could contain expired beer)

Well, yes, unfortunately.

I love sakura-mochi and the sakura leaves used to make them... it looks like that is what is meant by "pickled sakura leaves" however I am not certain of this. I‘ve had a pickled blossom tea and it wasn't what I am thinking of now.

Which is... the fact that the wonderful smelling aromatic in them (coumarin/クマリン) is a health concern... (carcinogenic) especially in fermentation... (bleeding) I forgot the details but if there is anything to it a search should turn up something. In any case, it has citric acid in it too... if you are watching your pH.

The companies free dial is 0120821561.

In general, Japanese companies seem to think the Japanese only eat a little of this stuff, and so are not worried. I don't know what to tell you. I love sakura-mochi which is harmful, but I have not really looked into this tea.

If you do decide to use it, I would suggest not fermenting it.
Just add it at the end.

I could try to find my notes on it if you want to follow up on this.

:(

Thanks, that's a good amount of info.
Yeah, I would add it at the end after fermentation. I'd make a tea and just put the tea in (like with a coffee beer)

Thanks for the info, you gave me enough to look deeper into it. It's just been a dream since I started to try to make a Sakura beer. Half of me thinks it's not possible or probable because I haven't seen one but the other half of me thinks I may not have seen one just cause it's not so big yet to do tea or flowers in beers. I've had great tea beers before but they seem to be pretty rare.

I've had great tea beers before but they seem to be pretty rare.

Tell me more, Anything one can find here?
What are they like?

I'm pretty sleepy just now (5 am!) but I have some fuzzy image of such things, perhaps even a sakura beer. Maybe it was just a name, a design or a daydreammm...

The only ones I had here were by Gilgamesh. Mamba (black tea) and DJ Jazzy Hefe (Jasmine)
I missed out on the Stone green tea IPA. And I know they've done a Jasmine one but I've never seen it.

The DJ Jazzy Hefe was just decent but the Mamba was good. I liked the Mamba, my friends loved it. You can get it here.. http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/sake-taniguchi/

Thanks, that's a good amount of info.
Yeah, I would add it at the end after fermentation. I'd make a tea and just put the tea in (like with a coffee beer)

Thanks for the info, you gave me enough to look deeper into it. It's just been a dream since I started to try to make a Sakura beer. Half of me thinks it's not possible or probable because I haven't seen one but the other half of me thinks I may not have seen one just cause it's not so big yet to do tea or flowers in beers. I've had great tea beers before but they seem to be pretty rare.

What if you used sakura wood chips? The wood is fairly aromatic. I always thought a light pils base would match well with sakura chips, but haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, I've thought about that as well but I wouldn't know how to sanitize it. With oak I soak it in whisky but I'm not sure about Sakura wood and vodka so I kinda gave up on the idea, then I read a recipe for Stone's Jasmine IPA and thought I could just replace the jasmine with sakura and see what happened https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=67344

Back