Extract Belgian Wit Recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_D

Reaction score
Looking for a good recipe for a Belgian Wit. This will be my second brew, so I am looking for a extract recipe. Should I buy as a kit, or buy ingredients separately?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :mug:

That is one I was looking at. I was hoping that someone could comment on it. I will probably end up doing that one. :mug:

Here is what I am drinking as I type. I think it turned out real good, very drinkable and refreshing.

6 lb Thomas Coopers liquid wheat malt extract.
1/2 lb carapils malt
1/4 lb 40L crystal malt
1 oz hallertauer
#3638 Bavarian Wheat liquid yeast
zest of 4 oranges (about 1/2 cup)
5 tablespoons coriander

As a change from the recipe I would just use 3 lbs of wheat extract as I don't think the extra 3 lbs adds anything to the fermenting. For an extra kick, next time I plan to add 1lb of a light DME to the 3lbs of wheat. I only used bavarian wheat because the store was out of the belgian wheat. I would use Belgian next time. Don't use the dried orange peel from the store (just look at it...does that look good?), go fresh. Get 4 or 5 oranges from the store and wash them good. You need a real zester in order to take the peel off. Go to one of those kitchen stores and get one. Its a straight blade about a foot long with the handle, kind of looks like a cheese grater they use in italian restaurants when they put on fresh parmesan at your table. Scrape off the peel, but only the orange surface, do not go below the surface into the white part of the orange peel. Steep grains at 150, add extract as usual. 1/2 oz hallertauer at 5 mins, then the rest in the last 15 mins. At the last 5 minutes of the boil, dump in your orange zest and coriander. About 5 days in the primary, 4 days in secondary, then ready in about 2 weeks. OG - 1.050, FG 1.017.

Back