White Bread WTF??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only read the first part of thread, but in eastern NC if you don't have hush puppies or corn bread, then white bread (cotton bread as my wife puts it) is considered just as good if not better. I can go either way and not complain. As a side bar, white bread is really good with fish stew for the "soping" capability. (Of course fish stew could have its own forum)

Yowzers...

Is that a box of sauce? Can you get some BBQ to go with that? :eek:

;)

yeah it's a lot wetter than usual. donno why. I purposely had it sauced, "outside" meat is by definition pretty dry.

and no it's not buffalo sauce altho it's their hotter sauce.

The first time, this is what I thought.

They offer their brisket lean or moist. Lean is with the fat trimmed away.

I've only ever ordered the moist. And they cut away all the bark.

When I walked in the had a slab of brisket on the cutting board waiting for orders, it had the whole fat cap and its bark already separated. The underside of the meat still had it's bark and they were still serving with the remaining bark. When I asked about they asked if I wanted extra bark so I said sure why not. They put that meat away and grabbed a fresh brisket out of the oven. They carved off some burnt ends from the point end. These things were dry as a bone and the bark tasted like Kingsford charcoal.

from what it sounds like, "bark" sounds the same as "burnt ends"

y'all Texans and Kansas Citians can correct me if I'm wrong.

and remember Grog's Rules for Food #3 – it’s Carolina-style for pulled pork, Texas for brisket, Memphis for chicken and Kansas City for ribs

and remember Grog's Rules for Food #3 – it’s Carolina-style for pulled pork, Texas for brisket, Memphis for chicken and Kansas City for ribs

It's actually TX for all 4, but thanks for playing.

Not exactly. Bark refers to the black crust on the entire exterior of the meat. Burnt ends can be a couple things but I think of it as the *burnt* corner chunks of the meat that I chomp on while I'm carving the rest of the meat for everyone else. I've seen some places sell burnt ends where they take the point muscle, chop it up into 1" cubes or so, and brown up the remaining sides in a frying pan and serve smothered in a sauce.

It's actually TX for all 4, but thanks for playing.

If you're going to get the goods, get them all in the same place. No sense in driving all over the country. :D

8061453790_e617212dd2.jpg

If you're going to get the goods, get them all in the same place. No sense in driving all over the country. :D

8061453790_e617212dd2.jpg

Exactly. I know what I'm talking about here, too. I live a block from my towns oldest BBQ joint. Burning mesquite is my signature scent.

We Southerners sometimes do things that other people find weird or funny.

I like using corn-cobs on my coals for a smoking medium when making BBQ.

:)

We Southerners sometimes do things that other people find weird or funny.

I like using corn-cobs on my coals for a smoking medium when making BBQ.

Cobs from sweet corn or field corn; or does it matter? I can't remember the last time I smelled burning cobs.

BTW: Pliny the Elder says "Sutor, ne ultra crepidam" in regards to your signature statement...:mug:

Well, I had the Ribs. White bread was *REALLY* plain. It didn't taste bad as much as it didn't taste like anything. Kind of useless IMO.

Their Blue Cheese potato salad was also fairly flavorless.

Beans were Texas style and pretty good and the ribs themselves were awesome.

The have another side called Mache Choux. I might try that next time instead of the potato salad.

I've seen some places sell burnt ends where they take the point muscle, chop it up into 1" cubes or so, and brown up the remaining sides in a frying pan and serve smothered in a sauce.

That is also a crime against burnt ends.

Cobs from sweet corn or field corn; or does it matter? I can't remember the last time I smelled burning cobs.

BTW: Pliny the Elder says "Sutor, ne ultra crepidam" in regards to your signature statement...:mug:

Sweet corn, I ask family members to not throw away the cobs whenever we have COTC for dinner.

As for Pliny & my sig: he must have been drinking. I make a mean cobbler, but I don't repair shoes.

White bread was *REALLY* plain. It didn't taste bad as much as it didn't taste like anything. Kind of useless IMO.

it's not SUPPOSED to have much of a taste. you're SUPPOSED to sop up the juice and some meat with it. THAT'S where the flavor comes from. that's why it's white bread

A soul food chicken place near me uses sliced white bread under their fried chicken... Soaks up the oil and keeps the hot chicken from melting the styrofoam box.

I like Rudy's Q well enough... But I've only mostly been to the one North of Houston, near Spring... Never noticed them cutting off the bark.

But then again, I grew up in Southern OH, college in FL, and now live in SoCal... none of which are a mecca for BBQ, so what do I know.

I buy Rudy's Rub to make my own brisket on the Weber Kettle, using the high/fast method. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself :)

If you don't like Wonder Bread... just tell them you don't want any when ordering your pile of meat. It's a fairly brainless solution. Then you don't have to stare at it while eating you pile of meat, only to throw a loaf of bread in the garbage can on your way out.

White bread, pickles, onions. Pretty standard BBQ garnish around here. Lots of folks like to make a sammich with it. I usually skip the white bread myself. I consider it filler and a waste of stomach space. Would certainly prefer some cornbread or something.

it's not SUPPOSED to have much of a taste. you're SUPPOSED to sop up the juice and some meat with it. THAT'S where the flavor comes from. that's why it's white bread

Well it was useless on these dry ribs. There wasn't much juice to speak of, and although the meat pulled off the bones easily, it didn't fall apart onto the tray either.

Might work better for pulled pork or brisket.

I'll find out soon!

Back