My take on EdWort's Stone IPA/BYO Stone Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngbrewbro

Reaction score
So for my second ever batch, I decided to try an IPA. I found EdWort's recipe, it looked good, and also saw the Stone Clone issue of BYO magazine, which had a convenient extract brew, as I don't feel quite ready to tackle all grain. Based on what was available at my local HBS, I made a little mash up of the two recipes (I think). Brewed on Saturday, currently machine-gunning away in the primary (and fascinating my cat). I'd really appreciate some criticism of the recipe, technique, and especially advice on what hops to use for dry hopping. I like a floral/citrusy aroma in my IPAs.

Stoney IPA
  • Batch Size: 5 gal into primary
  • Yeast: Wyeast 1968 Smack Pack (got swole)
  • Pitch Temp: 68 F
  • OG: 1.062
  • Target FG: ~1.018
  • Fermentation temp: ~66 F
  • Target ABV: ~5.8%

Fermentables/Hops/Etc
  • 5# DME light
  • 1# Munich
  • 1# Crystal 10-20L
  • 1.1# LME light (late addition)
  • 1 oz. Warrior @ 60min
  • 1 oz. Cascade @ 15min
  • 1 oz. Falconer's Flight @ flameout
  • 1 tsp. Irish moss @ 15 min

Procedure
I steeped the Munich and Crystal in 5.5 gallons of water for about 45 minutes at around 155, dropping around 145 near the end. I believe these are the specialty grains EdWort suggested, but the steep time suggested by BYO. A bit hotter steep than they recommended. I boiled for an hour, adding 1.1# LME at about 15 minutes as suggested by BYO to simulate all grain mash flavor.

My hops were kind of a best-approximation based on what my LBS had in stock and recommended. I'm not sure if I pitched the hops in the optimal order, I just went by the descriptors listed on the bag. After the boil, I cooled the pot out in the snow for a while, but this went slow so I tossed it in my sink w/ a bunch of snow from outside. At 68 degrees, I poured the wort aggressively into my primary, stirred it up a bunch to aerate more, and pitched, stirring the yeast into the wort. I finished pretty late at night, and when I woke up, fermentation was already vigorously underway.

I'm kind of surprised at how aggressively this beer is fermenting-it's like a machine gun, and the lid of my bucket is definitely ballooning a bit due to the pressure. I anticipate this relaxing a lot in the next few days. I took a big whiff of the blow-off bottle I'm using, it smells awesome so far- a little sharp/ester-y (I should have used the wafting technique haha), but I assume this will mellow. Roommate agrees, smells awesome. I regret taking a whiff, because now I'm really excited, and it will be hard to wait for the finished product.

Anyhow, I want to dry hop, any suggestions about what to use? To secondary or not to secondary? Any tips on bottle conditioning with this yeast? I've heard that can be tricky...

I'm no pro however you've only got 3oz of hops for a west coast IPA. that's not a lot. I've got like 11oz into my 5 gallon batches. I would dry hop a blend of Simcoe, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra into there, probably 1oz each.

But thats me....

Hope your 1968 doesn't stick, but if it finishes out it should clear pretty well so you could do it in the primary (keep it in there like 3+ weeks). If you want Stone IPA, maybe try chinook and centennial? Or a combo of C hops?

BYO Clone Recipe says 1/2oz Chinook, 1oz centennial for 3-5 days. An ounce of each or any C hop (Columbus, Cascade, etc.) should work.

If you want floral, go with Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, etc....

Back