Kamado cookers thread (green egg, kamado joe, primo etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say from experience, but what I gathered the extra large egg is not as good, good for grill space but not good for low and slow. I have been really happy with my large over the last 8 or so years. I am really considering getting an auber temp control though as I'm lazy and wouldn't mind a little automation. I've done 20+ pound turkeys, full briskest, sizable pork butts, plenty of ribs with a rib rack, and pizzas...although I prefer my oven for pizza.

^agreed about pizza in the oven. contrarily, I've always felt pizza was a weak point for egg. Too much heat from the bottom causing the crust to cook faster than the toppings/cheese.

Here's a fun one of the fire taking off tonight

wme7tg.jpg

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm leaning towards the medium, unless the price difference between it and the large makes it a good idea to consider.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm leaning towards the medium, unless the price difference between it and the large makes it a good idea to consider.

I'm not sure of the price difference...when I got my large egg it cost $650 shipped. I have been cooking on it for years for my wife and I and would not be happy with a smaller version. Not only is the cooking area smaller, so is the fire box. If you have ideas of doing a nice big pork shoulder on a 20 hour cook, well, you will run out of fuel. This isn't like a side loader where it is easy to add extra wood/charcoal, you want to have all the fuel you need for the cook, not have to pull the food off, grate, and plate setter to add more mid cook.

^agreed about pizza in the oven. contrarily, I've always felt pizza was a weak point for egg. Too much heat from the bottom causing the crust to cook faster than the toppings/cheese.

I have tried to use my plate setter and then put the pizza stone on the grate, still not an even cook. I also tried placing the pizza stone on top of the plate setter with a small air gap thinking the distance between plate setter and grate was enough to get too much heat through, so even with only a 1/2" gap between the two, it still got too hot and cooked unevenly. I have also tried cooking around them in the 400's and in the 800+ range, every time its the same, like you said, crust cooks too fast.

Not sure of the price difference myself.. But I'd probably say the best bang for the buck, would be the large, IMO.

But they make different sizes for everyones needs for a reason! If it's less than $150-200 I'd honestly jump to the large.

I have tried to use my plate setter and then put the pizza stone on the grate, still not an even cook. I also tried placing the pizza stone on top of the plate setter with a small air gap thinking the distance between plate setter and grate was enough to get too much heat through, so even with only a 1/2" gap between the two, it still got too hot and cooked unevenly. I have also tried cooking around them in the 400's and in the 800+ range, every time its the same, like you said, crust cooks too fast.

I put the grate on the fire ring, put the platesetter legs down on top of the grate, and put the pizza stone on top of the platesetter. Crank the temp up to 600-700 and off to the races. Keeps the goods up in the dome where the heat gets trapped and cooks the pizza, but doesn't get it close to the bottom to burn.

I also preheat my stone in the oven, or let the grill burn hot for 20 min or so before I even put anything on the stone. It could also be that your crust has a bunch of sugar in it.. it'll burn easy that way.

I normally have plenty of time to put the dough on the stone, and give it 1-2 minutes while I grab my toppings. I build it on the grill as fast as I can, shut the grill, put the cast iron daisy wheel on top and let it go.

My crusts are nice and thin, crispy, but not burned, and the toppings are all melted, cooked through and damn good.

I put the grate on the fire ring, put the platesetter legs down on top of the grate, and put the pizza stone on top of the platesetter. Crank the temp up to 600-700 and off to the races. Keeps the goods up in the dome where the heat gets trapped and cooks the pizza, but doesn't get it close to the bottom to burn.

I also preheat my stone in the oven, or let the grill burn hot for 20 min or so before I even put anything on the stone. It could also be that your crust has a bunch of sugar in it.. it'll burn easy that way.

I normally have plenty of time to put the dough on the stone, and give it 1-2 minutes while I grab my toppings. I build it on the grill as fast as I can, shut the grill, put the cast iron daisy wheel on top and let it go.

My crusts are nice and thin, crispy, but not burned, and the toppings are all melted, cooked through and damn good.

I keep dough simple, no sugar, no oil...just flour, salt, water, and yeast...just like beer, the yeast is what makes it sing. I can get a perfect pizza in the oven, just not on the egg. I believe I have tried to put the platesetter on top of the grate; but, not positive. Never hurts to give it a go.

Not sure of the price difference myself.. But I'd probably say the best bang for the buck, would be the large, IMO.

But they make different sizes for everyones needs for a reason! If it's less than $150-200 I'd honestly jump to the large.

I think you guys have sold me on the large. I'll have to check prices locally, there goes the tax return!

Thanks again all

Have you looked into a Kamado Joe? It'll be what I purchase when it's time to replace mine.

Sent from

I think you guys have sold me on the large. I'll have to check prices locally, there goes the tax return!

Thanks again all

It's an investment into your kitchen, look at it that way. I cook 3 days a week mine year 'round. In the summer I can just about cook my whole meal on it without heating up my house.

That, and if you ever decide you don't use it, don't want it, move and don't want to deal with it.. I think the large is the most sought after size and would sell and you'd not lose much on it at all.

Have you looked into a Kamado Joe? It'll be what I purchase when it's time to replace mine.

Sent from

I did, and still went with the egg, for no reason than I had cooked on one before.

Kamado Joe is a great grill, almost identical to the egg, and comes in better colors. The nest for the KJ are so much nicer than the egg, as are the side tables.

Just had some steaks off of my brand new vision B grill. Pretty good. Can't wait till the smoking stone comes back on sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great thread which I just now noticed. I bought a Big Steel Keg (now called the Broil King Keg), which as you might guess is essentially a Big Green Egg made of steel, in 2010 and love it. I keep track and have used it 157 times for everything from 750 degree steaks to pizza to kabobs to ribs to 14 hour pork shoulder cooks. If I don't use it at least once a week my family starts looking around for a replacement dad who will.

I got an Auber digital temp controller a couple of years ago which makes doing low and slow easy peasy. You can see the Auber on the left side shelf below and the small fan it controls over the bottom air intake hole. Highly recommended.

The top picture is my setup on a day I was making my Conecuh sausage-stuffed, bacon weave-wrapped pork loin and the bottom picture is of a spatchcocked turkey I did that I'd brined beforehand. Both were delicious.
qsbc.jpg

1uon.jpg

^Post pics! I'm not real familiar with vision grills

I'll try and get some tomorrow when I get home. The big test will be after I get the smoking stone and try some long smokes and baking pizza.

Last night I had it up to 800 and cooked the steaks at 650. It was pretty consistent and stable temp for the short amount of time I cooked.

I don't think it snuffs the fire quite as quickly as the egg does, but there was still plenty charcoal left in the bowl when I put the cover back on.

Here are some pics of the vision kamado from sams club. Let me know if y'all want to see anything specific. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261654.421819.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261728.316544.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261803.967598.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261534.959982.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261580.027640.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261904.078642.jpg

Few more.
The two tier grate. Not a ton of space, but can do veggies, steaks, skillet of beans, or maybe ribs.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395262196.130829.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395262253.205795.jpg

I am happy, but have only cooked once. Looking forward to baking and smoking whenever I can get the lava stone, low an slow will be the true test probably. I'll keep y'all updated this summer.

Nice look'n rig!

Thanks!
Not too bad for 600$. I could afford that after saving for a bit and justify it to the wife. 1400$ for bge/kj/primo? Not so much at this point in life.

Dang it, now I wanna cook something on it tonight! :)

Thanks!
Not too bad for 600$. I could afford that after saving for a bit and justify it to the wife. 1400$ for bge/kj/primo? Not so much at this point in life.

Dang it, now I wanna cook something on it tonight! :)

I assume the lava stone is simliar to the plate setter of a BGE? I'd like to see a pic when you get it installed. Looks very simliar to an egg. FYI, I am an egg owner and lover :) It looks like you got a good rig there for sure.

I assume the lava stone is simliar to the plate setter of a BGE? I'd like to see a pic when you get it installed. Looks very simliar to an egg. FYI, I am an egg owner and lover :) It looks like you got a good rig there for sure.

Yes, it has a bracket that allows it to sit low for smoking and place on top of the grate for baking. I don't think the set up is as nice as a place setter, but as long as it works I will be pleased.
We have an egg at the firehouse, that is what got me interested in the kamados.
Hope to pick up the lava stone next week.

How have I not seen this thread yet :) My egg finally thawed this week after being frozen solid in January. I can't wait to get egging again this weekend!

Cold is no excuse. Bust out a heat gun and thaw that thing out. It is only acceptable to not BBQ in the rain. When it snows it is mandatory :).

I've a dumped a lit load of charcoal right down the top vent to thaw mine out on many occasions. I've also gotten a little over anxious and ripped the gasket off twice trying to open it. Can't let the cold stop you from grilling!

I just read this whole thread. I've got an Large Big Green Egg I've been sitting on for a week (pun intended!) as I just finished the table for it this week and got a table nest. I'm jumping right in and will be doing a brisket tomorrow starting the sucker at 7 am. I've been lusting for a ceramic cooker for a while and thought I should go ahead and skip straight to the best one instead of messing around with smaller ones. My previous grill was the Char-griller Akorn which I'd been plenty happy with, but time to go ceramic.

Really really looking forward to some charred steaks from this bad boy.

First smoke on my vision. Seems to be holding temp pretty good so far.

Little 3lber for dinner. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397323812.803307.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397323861.856527.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397323930.368092.jpg

I just read this whole thread. I've got an Large Big Green Egg I've been sitting on for a week (pun intended!) as I just finished the table for it this week and got a table nest. I'm jumping right in and will be doing a brisket tomorrow starting the sucker at 7 am. I've been lusting for a ceramic cooker for a while and thought I should go ahead and skip straight to the best one instead of messing around with smaller ones. My previous grill was the Char-griller Akorn which I'd been plenty happy with, but time to go ceramic.

Really really looking forward to some charred steaks from this bad boy.

I love my Large BGE.

For steaks I use the TREX method, If not familiar check the link out below:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

I always make my ribeyes this way and it has always turned out fantastic. When I put the steaks back on the grill @400 for a few mins I add some Jack Daniels chips, just my own spin on things :D

I will definitely have to do this next time.

BTW, for those keeping score at home, there's a reason that Steve Raichlen calls brisket "the Mount Everest of meat" and while I did a decent job at smoke and flavor development for it, it came out a bit too dry. Certainly takes well to sauce which will be how I finish it!

BTW, for those keeping score at home, there's a reason that Steve Raichlen calls brisket "the Mount Everest of meat" and while I did a decent job at smoke and flavor development for it, it came out a bit too dry. Certainly takes well to sauce which will be how I finish it!

Ive cooked two briskets on the egg.

1st one wasn't great, too dry.

2nd one was much better but was a touch dry. Its a hard cut of meat to cook. IMO, theres such a fine line of perfection. Not enough time, dry. Too much time, dry. It doesn't help that brisket costs a fortune, so its not like you can practice a lot.

I bought the wire basket at Fred and Meyers. Works great for sifting out the tail end of a bag of charcoal or what's left in the ash pit.

image.jpg

Ive cooked two briskets on the egg.

1st one wasn't great, too dry.

2nd one was much better but was a touch dry. Its a hard cut of meat to cook. IMO, theres such a fine line of perfection. Not enough time, dry. Too much time, dry. It doesn't help that brisket costs a fortune, so its not like you can practice a lot.

How much are you paying for brisket? When we find it at Costco, I'm seeing USDA Prime for $2.99/lb for a full packer. It's more if I go for just the flat, but generally it's FAR cheaper than ribs, tri-tip, etc.

How much are you paying for brisket? When we find it at Costco, I'm seeing USDA Prime for $2.99/lb for a full packer. It's more if I go for just the flat, but generally it's FAR cheaper than ribs, tri-tip, etc.

The first brisket was only a flat, and was moderately priced. The second one I wanted a full untrimmed brisket so I could leave more fat on it than most butchers do. Where I lived at the time, a butcher was the only place I could find one. It was a certifed angus beef 13lber for $55. Maybe i'm just whining :p

The first brisket was only a flat, and was moderately priced. The second one I wanted a full untrimmed brisket so I could leave more fat on it than most butchers do. Where I lived at the time, a butcher was the only place I could find one. It was a certifed angus beef 13lber for $55. Maybe i'm just whining :p

Ahh, got it.

Yeah, when I was pricing them at butchers I was finding prices of $5.49/lb and one >$7/lb...

If you are looking for a brisket recipe which is anything but dry you might consider Atlanta Brisket:

A friend who has a Kamado Joe had us over and served this and it was delicious and anything but dry. I then made it on my Big Steel Keg and confirmed that his was not a fluke as it was still delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back