Spec grain mill ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Wondering if any extract brewers get there spec grains uncrushed ? And crush them yourself ? Some times when buying kits i don't brew them right away. Also out of the big 4 online brew supplies. The crush doesn't seem that good.

Should i just use a rolling pin and finnish the job ? Mortar and pestle ? I don't really need a 4in mill for 1 or 2 pounds of specialty grains.

Go with the rolling pin. When you eventually get tired of the rolling you might consider a cheap mill like the corona.

If you could ever find one a beer bottle works pretty decent for crushing grains too. While you are brewing extract beers the quality of the crush isn't as important as it becomes when doing all grain.

Thanks for the replies guys . I'm at the point where I'm refining my brew days. I'm a bit OCD with stuff like this. I even go so far as to sparge a little bit to get the most out of it. Since I can tell the difference why not right ?

Beer bottle is a good one !

I only did one extract with grain before jumping into All Grain. I started with the rolling pin, but quickly pulled out my blade coffee grinder and used it.. that showed some promise. Not sure how well it would stand up to a couple pounds..

BxBrewer said:
Thanks for the replies guys . I'm at the point where I'm refining my brew days. I'm a bit OCD with stuff like this. I even go so far as to sparge a little bit to get the most out of it. Since I can tell the difference why not right ?

Beer bottle is a good one !

I also do a mini spathe on my specialty grains. Lol... My OG always seems higher then the recipe. Which I like, for what ever reason.

Back