Newb w/a kit question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintopher

Reaction score
Hello all,

As is likely obvious, I'm new at all this. Just wondering what you guys think of paying 100 bucks for the following:

7.8 Gallon Fermenting bucket with Lid and Airlock
5 Gallon Glass Carboy with Stopper and Airlock
6.5 Gallon Bottling bucket with spigot and filler tube
Racking Cane and hose
Self stick Thermometer
Triple Scale Hydrometer
Carboy Brush
Bottle Brush
Twin Lever Capper
Bottle caps (Hooch Brews)
1 lb Easy Clean Cleaner
Brewing Quality Beers book

It's one of the kits that my local brew supply place has. I've been searching online for other kits and realize it's not the cheapest but I could have it tomorrow if I so choose. Plus, when shipping is factored in with the other "cheaper" kits, how much cheaper is it?

Clint

Ya, that's pretty steep. I guess it depends on how quick you want it. Most kits for that kind of money are at least all glass and have some more knick-knacks

doesn't sound unreasonable compared to my LHBS prices. he gets $35 for a 5gallon glass carboy alone, and shipping one from an online vendor wouldn't be cheap.

I always try to strike a balance...spend some at the local shop to keep him in business, spend some online to save cash.

malkore said:
my LHBS prices. he gets $35 for a 5gallon glass carboy alone, and shipping one from an online vendor wouldn't be cheap.

I guess I should kiss my LHBS girls - I paid $26.00 for a 5 gallon glass carboy!

I think for $100 bucks the store ought to throw in some ingredients for your first batch. ALABREW sells basically that same setup for $75.

id recommend getting or asking for a 6.5 gallon glass carboy....my kit just came with a 5 and found out no matter what, ur probubley going to rig a blow off tube etc. sort of a pain to worry about..especially for your first brew your gonna want to watch that thing work! its cool, its tv for the first night! so def. recommend a bigger glass one. i went with a the same type kit, its a lil more expencive.. BUT i brewed the next day:)

Adding to what Rico said, if you get into brewing like most people do, your going to quickly add to your collection. If it only comes with 5 gallon glass carboy, you may want to add in a 6.5.

Now if this is your first brew, you, like everyone else, isnt going to wait until your beers ready before you drink it. However, hopefully after a few batches you will want to rack out of your larger fermenter and put it in a secondary. This allows the beer to clear, and finish up before you bottle it.

Either way though, your primary fermentation should definitley be done in a larger fermenter. The first few days of fermentation will build a Krausen layer that will blow right through your airlock on a 5 gallon.

it comes with a bucket. you can start with that and upgrade to a 6.5 carboy later, as long as you have a pot big enough for your boil.

if you don't have another LHBS, you probably will pay more with shipping.

If you got it, be sure to read that book. even reading over the basics will ensure you make a much nicer batch.

and the best way to not drink your beer to early is to immediately brew another batch. and another...and another, etc. ;)

Latest posts

Back